UltravioletPhotography

Potentilla norvegica [Norwegian Cinquefoil]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2012) Potentilla norvegica L. (Rosaceae) Norwegian Cinquefoil. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...ian-cinquefoil/

Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

14 July 2007

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Potentilla monspeliensis L.
  • Potentilla norvegica ssp. hirsuta (Michx.) Hyl.
  • Potentilla norvegica ssp. monspeliensis (L.) Aschers. & Graebn.
  • Potentilla norvegica var. hirsuta (Michx.) Lehm.
  • Potentilla norvegica var. labradorica (Lehm.) Fern.

Comment:

P. Norvegica's UV-bright false-yellow petals are striking against the background of the UV-dark sepals and foliage and nicely show the UV-black blotches at the proximal end of each petal. There are also some narrow UV-dark lines radiating from the blotches.

This plant is non-native to the US. The New England Wildflower Society's page on P. norvegica mentions that the N. American plants have more oval leaves and coaser stem hairs than do the European plants.(1)

P. norvegica is distinguished from P. recta by having petals shorter than or the same length as its sepals.

'Cinquefoil' is from the French phrase 'cinque feuilles' meaning 'five leaves' which in turn is derived from the Latin 'quinquefolium'.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2014) Potentilla Norvegica L. Norwegian cinquefoil. https://gobotany.new...illa/norvegica/

Set 1

14 July 2007

Wildflower

Comment:

Everytime I go near a Potentilla it drops a petal. Nevertheless, the characteristic UV-dark blotches are seen on the remaining 4 rays of this specimen.

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/125" @ISO 400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaVis071407swhME_16395proofPnCrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 3" @ISO 400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaUV071407swhME_16397proofPnCrop.jpg

Set 2

Seal Cove, Maine, USA

12 July 2010

Wildflower

Comment:

It is always good to make some studies of a plant in visible light for future reference. And I did not happen to be carrying my UV kit this day. Perhaps I should never leave home without it.

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/1250" @ ISO 400 with Nikon D3S + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

potentillaNorvegicaVis071210sealCoveME_10024pnRes.jpg

Set 3

Schoodic Point, Acadia National Park, Maine, USA

03 August 2010

Wildflower

Comment:

Because it is forbidden to pick flowers in a US National Park, I carefully laid the stem of this P. Norvegica against a rock and held it in place with another smaller rock.

Equipment [Nikon D700-broadband + Novoflex 35mm f/3.5 Noflexar]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/250" @ ISO 400 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaVisFlash080310schoodicPointAcadiaNPMaine_6753pnpfRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1.3" @ ISO 400 with Nichia 365 UV-Led and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaUV080310schoodicPointAcadiaNPMaine_6760pfCropRes.jpg

• 1 year later...

Continued from previous post.

Set 4

22 July 2007

Wildflower

Comment:

I keyed this specimen as Potentilla norvegica. However in Ultraviolet light it fails to fully show the characteristic UV-black blotch at the proximal end of all of its petals. The petals also seem narrower. So I wonder if my identification is wrong?

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/90" @ ISO 400 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaVis072207swhME_17863origProofPnRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 3" @ ISO 400 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaUV072207swhME_17869origProofPnRes.jpg

• 8 months later...

Set 5

Shore Cottage, Southwest Harbor, Maine, USA

08 & 10 July 2014

Wildflower

Comment:

Again, the flower has dropped a petal after being handled. There are typically 5 petals.

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Unless otherwise noted.

Visible Light [f/11 for 1.3" @ ISO-400 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaVisFlash_071014shoreCottageSwhME_20717pnCropCombo.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 15" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

A long exposure was taken so the flash could be fired from different positions for more even lighting.

potentillaNorvegicaUVBaadSB14_071014shoreCottageSwhME_20719pnCropCombo.jpg

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/1.6" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

potentillaNorvegicaLeafVis_071014shoreCottageSwhME_20731pn.jpg

Visible Light [f/9 for 1/320" @ ISO-100 with Nikon Df + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

P. norvegica growing in a meadow near Somes Sound.potentillaNorvegica_071014shoreCottageSwhME_5670pnPf.jpg

All specimens of Potentilla norvegica* photographed in UV by me have shown the sharply defined UV-dark patches on the basal part of the petals. My UV experiences with other members of this complex genus are similar: These species all have a distinct UV signature not likely to change from one occasion to another. Thus, given the taxonomic complexity of the genus, it is not unlikely your Set #4 indeed is something else.

* noteworthy that P. norvegica, despite its scientific by Linné, is not indigenous to Norway. Thus it occupies the same biogeographical position as the Black or Norwegian rat Rattus norvegicus. One might wonder whether the naming is a slight to the nation from Linné who was known to have a pretty peculiar sense of humour.

I suppose it could be a P. rivalis, but had thought that this didn't grow where I found it.