UltravioletPhotography

The Northern End of Europe

nfoto

Well, almost. Turns out the definition of 'northernmost' depends on whether you consider mainland or islands, but the country fulfilling these criteria whatever is used still is Norway.

Here I am at the North Cape plateau (71° 9'58.512" N, 25°46'46.848" E) still with a few hundred metres to go before I fall off the steep cliff into the Arctic Ocean. However, Knivskjelodden (sometimes written Knivskjærodden), the headland in the background, is the actual northernmost point in Norway and the end of the road towards the North of the European continent. 'Norway' derives from ancient Norse 'Norvegr' - literally 'The road to the North'. (Two official versions exist, 'Norge' or 'Noreg', both stem from the same ancient word.). There is the Svalbard Archipelago under Norwegian jurisdiction further up North, but this group of islands is considered part of the Artic proper.

This UV capture is a frame grab from the UV video I shot with my Panasonic GH-2 and the Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens using the Baader U2" (Venus) filter. The model is my travelling mate and namesake Bjørn Jørgensen who is located in Tromsø, Northern Norway. We spent the summer of 2013 touring Finnmark, the northernmost county of Norway.

Weather on the occasion was what the natives would designate 'hustrig' (=not warm) and the tourists call 'icy cold' (despite it was +2C). The low cloud base entailed long exposure times for UV, and the frame rate on the video dropped well below the nominal PAL rate (25 frames/sec). Despite this, the footage plays pretty smooth without jerkiness. Still image exposure was f/4 at 1/4 sec ISO 160.

North_Cape_UV_T1307199018.jpg

Hi Bjorn,

In 1962 my university mate Phil and I did the trip on the coastal ferry to North Cape (our first overseas trip)

post-28-0-69126800-1385266724.jpg

Here's what it looked like, from the ferry, on one of the rare sunny days in June that year. Only FP3 of course.

Dave

Yes, the classic North Cape profile seen from the coastal liner ('Hurtigruten' in Norwegian). Same place and my picture was taken on the shoulder of the plateau to the right. Actually your photo includes a snippet of Knivskjellodden (dark headland on the right hand side of the frame).

So, you have been to Norway - swell. Only passing Australia by airplane but I lived and worked for a while in New Zealand.