UltravioletPhotography

ColinBM

colinbm

Hi everybody, my name is Colin.

I have read some of the good info here & so I well introduce myself to you all.

I live in the UV hot spot of Australia, near Brisbane.

I like to experiment with my cameras. I have two Sigma cameras at the moment that I mostly use. They are a Sigma DP2 compact with the hot mirror removed & a Sigma SD15 dSLR which have a user removable hot mirror, that is used as a dust protector in front of the mirror box & immediately behind the lens mount. Both these cameras have the same APS-C size sensor. I chose the Sigma cameras as they use a three layered Foveon sensor & measure the light waves at three depths in the silicon layer. I have enjoyed IR photography with these cams particularly black & white mono & recently rich full colour spectrum photography with a grey card WB & a CPL.

I have tried & cried with UV photography & have persisted over a few years. I have lots to learn & lots of things to try, but I have patience & time, but for the bane of UV I have no money :)

The Sigma Foveon cameras seem to be low in response to UV light, but I have some more tests to perform, still......it is ongoing isn't it!

I have an Astrodon UVenus filter, which I like & have tried a few of the others, which leak too much IR. Well the IR might be small, but it has a big effect on the sensor :D I have found that artificial light is necessary even under UV Index 14 !

I have a small collection of Spectroscopes, DIY, diffraction grating & Amici prism spectroscopes & a USB spectrometer. Believe me, not much UV reaches the ground !

I know that Nikon cameras seem to be the best at photographing UV & sure set the standard, but I will keep trying with these Sigma cameras, for the immediate future still. I have lenses that seem to pass UV at 365nm, so I will be happy with that level at present.

I just have to get better at it & find a good bright UV light source at around 365nm.

Cheers

Col

PS is there a spell checker with this editor please ?

Welcome to our little UV corner of the world.

I'm using Firefox as principal browser and it has spell-checking built in. I just have to remember to set it to the correct language :D (I'm participating on Norwegian sites as well so there is some switching at times).

Hi Colin

Welcome to the growing band of Aussie UV photographers. I use Google Chrome as my main browser and that does have a US spell checker (as you would expect). Look forward to seeing some Foveon UV images.

Cheers,

Dave (from drizzly Vic today)

Thanks very much Dave

Yes I got the FireFox add on spell checker working :)

Don't worry, we have got the drizzle up here too & tending to stormy over the next few days.

Did I say the monsoon has arrived ?

The Sigma Foveon cameras have been great for IR & full spectrum photography.

I do have a few UV Allamanda flowers, but they needed some artificial lighting to get any worthwhile results.

I have an older Sigma SD9 arriving soon & I will attack it & see if I can increase the UV sensitivity some more.

I'll post one in the UV Botanicals under UV Cultivars, even though the spell checker doesn't like the word!

As we say down under, ave a good one & see ya around mate :D

Cheers

Col

Welcome Colin,

Good to see another fellow spectroscopist too.

We just had our first hard freeze here in west Tennessee so I am envious of your flip side spring!

John

Thanks very much John

I have enjoyed spectroscopy immensely for a couple of years. We never did anything like this at school.

John, there are plenty of birds that migrate south for the winter :D

Cheers

Col

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much David

You have a very fine gallery, I enjoyed the visit.

I hope you have a nice air conditioned office & home for the weather you have been having this year ?

Cheers

Col