UltravioletPhotography

Eremophila hygrophana

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2013. Eremophila hygrophana Chinnock (Scrophulariaceae) Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ila-hygrophana/

No common name

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

13 October 2013

Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comment

The name of this eremophila is derived from the Greek hygrophana, one meaning of which is ‘changing significantly in colour from the moist to dry state’, referring to the flowers. It is a low spreading shrub, with dull grey, or grey-green leaves which have a dense cover of very tiny hairs. It occurs in the arid regions of central Western Australia, northern South Australia and the southern Northern Territory.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, Nikon SB-14 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-32101900-1386482079.jpg

Image Reference: DO51558

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Quartz 105 mm f/4.0 lens, Nikon SB-14 flash, 1/180s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-55988300-1381827930.jpg

Image Reference: DO51566

References:

Chinnock, R.J. Eremophila and Allied Genera, Rosenberg, 2007, p. 472

Atlas of Living Australia http://bie.ala.org.a...hila+hygrophana

Published 15 October 2013

• 1 month later...

Here's a photo of E. hygrophana taken with an unconverted Pentax K-7 using a Takumar 50 mm macro lens in sunlight at 200 ISO, white balance on one of the grey Colorchecker squares in Adobe Camera Raw.

post-28-0-45240600-1386301243.jpg

Can the presence of glandular hairs be confirmed for this plant, Dave? It certainly looks very similar to the specimens Andrea and I photographed in a xeriscaped garden in Death Valley in 2012. It was identified as E. mackinlayi from the presence of stellate and absence of glanduar hairs.

In his description of E. mackinlayi Chinnock says: it can be distinguished from E. hygrophana by the leaf shape and the fine stellate-dendritic tomentum lacking glandular tips.

In the drawings of the flowers it looks to me as if both do have hairs on the outside of the corolla but those on hygrophana are drawn larger

Here's a 100% extract

post-28-0-30395300-1386372284.jpg

Here is a link to an Eremophila hygrophana foto made by Russell Cumming in the Adelaide Botanical Garden.

If you look at the flowers sepals --> between the right-most sepal and the next leaf you can see the "knobbed" glandular hairs.

A glandular hair has a little rounded gland at its distal tip.

Eremophila hygrophana, Adelaide Botanic Garden, SA, 02/03/12

I'm not sure I can detect any glandular hairs in your foto, Dave, but I cannot be sure. Of course, when you made the fotos, you weren't shooting with the aim of capturing that specific feature. :lol:

Andrea: the photo of E. hygrofana you linked to clearly show tomentose leaves, corolla with large stellate-dendritic hairs, and sepals with glandular hairs. Perhaps we should focus (pun unintended) on the sepal character?

Something not mentioned in Chinnock's key is the shape of the upper lobes of the corolla. Of the few photos I've been able to find, the upper two lobes of E. hygrophana appear to be slightly more acute and a bit more reflexed than those of E. mackinlayi.

I think I am content with my ID of the Death Valley plant as E. mackinlayi. While the number of glandular hairs on E. hygrophana may or may not be numerous, the Flickr photo does show us that, if present, they would be fairly easy to spot somewhere in the combined photos made by me & Bjørn of the Death Valley plant. Now I hope Dave can locate some on his E. hygrophana.

I probably should re-check the E. strongophylla characteristics. I ruled that out based primarily on leaf shape, but it wouldn't hurt to review the key steps leading to it.

BTW, that online Eremophila key is quite nifty. There are tabs for different ways to view the key steps as you are working it. I didn't see the first time, but found it quite helpful subsequently to use the Player tab.

I just modified the color of the original visible image so that the flower color matched the RGB values for the K-7 image. I'm happy for you to go with your ID, I only take the "snaps" and rely on others to have done the correct ID on what we have planted. It turns out that hygrophana is not common in cultivation here either.