UltravioletPhotography

Ophrys apifera [Bee Orchid]

Nico

Chalwatzis, N. 2013. Ophrys apifera Huds. (Orchidaceae). Bee Orchid. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

http://www.ultraviol...era-bee-orchid/

Ophrys apifera Huds.

Synonyms:

Orchis apifera (Huds.) Salisb.

Arachnites apifera (Huds.) Hoffm.

Ophrys chlorantha Hegetschw. & Heer

Ophrys insectifera var. andrachnites

DE: Bienen-Ragwurz

EN: Bee Orchid

Like many species of the genus O. apifera is very variable and individuals from different locations can look quite different. Several species of the genus Ophrys are attracting male insects, mostly bees that regard them as females and try to mate with the flower. However O. apifera is said to be self-pollinating in central Europe. Despite that fact the pattern on the central labellum (lip) does reflect visible and ultraviolet light. The sepals on the other hand are bright pink in visible light but pretty UV-dark.

Flowers were photographed near Bensheim, Germany 1 July 2013.

All images were taken with a broadband-modified Panasonic Lumix G1 and the EL-Nikkor 80mm/f5.6 at f8.

Visible light image with Baader UV/IR cut filter, ISO 200

post-14-0-57213800-1381005512.jpg

image reference: CHA_P1090647_130701

UV-image, Baader U-filter 2”, ISO 400, UV-flash & sunlight. The image suffers from some motion blur but should be fine for documentary purposes.

post-14-0-22541600-1381005514.jpg

image reference: CHA_P1090661_130701

[published: 5 October 2013]

Do you have more detailled photos of this orchid in UV? I did record it in France a few years ago and was struck by the patchiness of conical cells all over the corolla. The UV-bright areas on the labellum looked fairly similar, though.

I might put these observation on my to-do list with a higher priority for publication.

No, unfortunately. I found just very few that were still flowering when I had acquired my UV-flash and it was a windy day. However, the place is not too far from my home so hopefully I can take more images next summer.

I’m currently still trying to capture some of the wildflowers that are remaining for this year before I will focus on publishing the backlog when it gets cold and rainy … I did capture quite some more species this summer.