UltravioletPhotography

Lobelia silphilitica [Great Lobelia]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2013) Lobelia siphilitica L. (Campanulaceae) Great Lobelia. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...-great-lobelia/

Reference:

1. Newcomb, L. (1977) Great Lobelia, page 52. Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. Little, Brown & Co., New York City, NY.

Set 1

Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown, New Jersey USA

03 October 2013

Wildflower

Comment:

This Great Lobelia was found growing on a slope amongst some cultivated day lilies.

The day was strongly overcast so I used long exposures for the UV shots in order to flash the SB-14 2-3 times around the blooms.

The white patches disappear in UV with the lower 3-lobed lip becoming UV-dark. The upper 2-lobed lip becomes moderately UV-bright as though it were a signal flag above the reproductive parts.

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/10" @ ISO 100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

lobeliaSiphiliticaVisSun_100313deepCutGardNtNJ_16099origPNresize.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 15" @ ISO 400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

lobeliaSiphiliticaUVBaadSB14_100313deepCutGardNtNJ_16141proofResize.jpg

Set 2

Holmdel Park, Holmdel, New Jersey, USA

27 August 2013

Wildflower

Comment:

This tall purple-blue L. siphilitica was found growing on the edge of a park pond in its typical damp habitat.

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/1000" @ ISO 100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

lobeliaSiphilitica_visSun_082713holmdelParkHolmNJ_14512origPNcrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/80" @ ISO 400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

lobeliaSiphilitica_uvBaadSB14_082713holmdelParkHolmNJ_14538PNcrop.jpg

Thanks, Nico.

It's funny - for years I have not found L. siphilitica during my local park walks, but this year I very easily found it twice. :rolleyes: