UltravioletPhotography

Linaria vulgaris [Common Toadflax]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Linaria vulgaris Mill. (Plantaginaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/523-linaria-vulgaris-common-toadflax/

Linaria vulgaris Mill.

Syn. Antirrhinum linaria L.

NO: Torskemunn; lintorskemunn

SE: Gulsporre

DK: Almindelig Torskemund

IS: Gullsporablom

FI: Keltakannusruoho; Kannusruoho

DE: Gewöhnliches Leinkraut

EN: Common Toadflax: Butter-and-Eggs

This is a medium tall, mostly

The strongly zygomorphic corolla has its entrance to the nectar spur closed by a swollen lower lobe and only heavy pollinators such as bumblebees can make it into the flower itself. One frequently observe holes on the spur made by smaller pollinators breaking into the flower in a "non-legal" manner, though.

Specimens collected and photographed in Finnmark Arctic Norway 19 Jul 2013. These specimens were unusually tall (>1 m )and vigorous.

LINA_VUL_B1307197186_VIS.jpg

Image reference: LINA_VUL_B1307197186_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D800, Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar lens, daylight.

Several spurs in this picture show signs of being broken into by insects scavenging for nectar. These visits will of course net nothing towards pollination of the flower itself.

LINA_VUL_I1307190646_UV.jpg

Image reference: LINA_VUL_I1307190646_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The corolla of L. vulgaris is velvet-like in appearance in UV thanks to the prolific occurrence of conical cells.

I do have captures from L. vulgaris that are also quite UV-dark. However, some parts of the corolla appear a bit more reflective than in your sample. I will take some more images and see if I can reproduce my results.

Yes please do. We need to assess the range of variability in UV for these widely distributed species.

On these UV dark flowers, it is sometimes just the way the light catches the conical cells on the flower that causes some reflectivity. I try (now) to photograph such a flower with the light shining different ways to confirm that.