UltravioletPhotography

Some landscapes in UV and IR

microbat52

Hi friends! Sorry its been a while, I moved to the US in the middle of the pandemic and then there was so much daylight I stoped playing with fluorescence so I have been several months away.

Anyways I have been playing around with my camera and filters and thought I would share.

These are all done with my nikon coolpix and cheapo chinese filters. The IR is 720nm from amazon, channels not swapped, the UV are done with a ZWB1 and a BG39 from tangsinuo.

1. Treeline

Love how the IR has crazy contrast of the light and shadows while the UV you can see the light scattering.

IMG-20210728-221851.jpg

IMG-20210728-221908.jpg

2. Above the treeline

IMG-20210728-222319.jpg

IMG-20210728-222330.jpg

3. Ocean cliffs

I love the long exposure birds in the UV one

IMG-20210728-223439.jpg

IMG-20210728-223426.jpg

I just added some ocean ones!

Yes the second one was also at high altitude so the sun was INTENSE. I still had to take a long exposure though, my camera setup is not the best for UV but its fun.

Nice pictures!

As someone who started with the same combination you're using now, even as far as purchasing from the same manufacturer, I recommend you use a ZWB2 instead. It compliments the BG39 way better and you get no leaks. Alternatively you could get a second ZWB1 to increase your U-glass thickness to 4mm and that won't have any leaks either. But your exposures will be even longer. The UV effects will be stronger too though, as with ZWB1 you're cutting even deeper into UV. I assume the coolpix does not have a lens that lets through much UV though, so the ZWB2 could really help as it doesn't force the system that much.

Nice pictures!

As someone who started with the same combination you're using now, even as far as purchasing from the same manufacturer, I recommend you use a ZWB2 instead. It compliments the BG39 way better and you get no leaks. Alternatively you could get a second ZWB1 to increase your U-glass thickness to 4mm and that won't have any leaks either. But your exposures will be even longer. The UV effects will be stronger too though, as with ZWB1 you're cutting even deeper into UV. I assume the coolpix does not have a lens that lets through much UV though, so the ZWB2 could really help as it doesn't force the system that much.

Thankyou! I think at the time the only reason i got the ZBW1 was because they had it in stock, with a good size and mounted in a ring. Im going to get a ZBW2 see if i get more transmission.

Edit to add: ordered!

All nice IR/UV comparisons. I particularly like the "lunar landscape" look of IR version in the second set.

Thankyou! I think at the time the only reason i got the ZBW1 was because they had it in stock, with a good size and mounted in a ring. Im going to get a ZBW2 see if i get more transmission.

Edit to add: ordered!

No problem, I'm glad to have helped. Hopefully the filter will suit you well!

4. Adding some sea stacks from this weekend. There is a kelp bed in the back you can see how it absorbs uv and redlects IR like plants.

IMG-20210802-225125.jpg

IMG-20210802-225137.jpg

Andy Perrin
Ooh nice. I especially like the IR. You should try some aerochrome style on that kelp. I’ve done it before and it’s amazing.

Ooh nice. I especially like the IR. You should try some aerochrome style on that kelp. I’ve done it before and it’s amazing.

My AC attempts look allways so bad lol, like pink and turquoise.

Andy Perrin

My AC attempts look allways so bad lol, like pink and turquoise.

Sounds like you aren't subtracting enough blue from the red and green channels.

Those sea stacks are quite fascinating.

An interesting series Micro. Thanks for posting.

And welcome to the US. I hope you enjoy life here. Our politics are a bit out of control currently, but that will pass eventually. :lol:

And welcome to the US. I hope you enjoy life here. Our politics are a bit out of control currently, but that will pass eventually. :lol:

Thankyou! Its not for the faint hearted but so far I am enjoying it :)