UltravioletPhotography

Simultaneous UV and IR photos in a single shot

Andy Perrin

I bought a Stitz Universal Stereo Adapter on eBay, with the intent of using it to take simultaneous captures in UV and IR, or similar two-filter-at-once combinations. I haven't had time to mess with it much, but I did a proof of concept below.

Please note that that air outside is horribly smokey due to fires on the west coast of the US and in Canada, so much of the haze is not the fault of the system, but instead is the fault of the atmosphere.

First the setup:

post-94-0-27148400-1627327920.jpg

And here is a photo. The two sides were independently edited in Photoshop and PhotoNinja and combined afterwards with layers.

post-94-0-99216900-1627327966.jpg

The large black line can be adjusted with the diaphragm control, but I didn't have time to adjust it.

Interesting. Does it use glass of some sort which can limit UV transmission?

You may even attach it to your SWIR and MWIR cameras, to make things like black/not black water. I suspect it won't be as useful at close range, since the images will be too far apart.

Bernard could use it for stereo images, especially if it has good UV reach.

Andy Perrin
Interesting. Does it use glass of some sort which can limit UV transmission?

Yeah, it does have glass. I'm not sure what the UV transmission limits are, but I think probably it's okay up to the 365nm range or so. The big problem I have so far is I probably need a neutral density filter to balance the two sides -- the exposures were quite far apart, and I had to raise the UV and lower the IR quite a bit.

You may even attach it to your SWIR and MWIR cameras, to make things like black/not black water. I suspect it won't be as useful at close range, since the images will be too far apart.

Yeah, the distance is much too short to make that possible.

Andy Perrin

Another shot. I think some of the IR is leaking internally to the other side unfortunately. Angling the camera carefully seems to minimize the leak, but obviously it's not ideal.

post-94-0-53251600-1627333916.jpg

Here is what unmodifed RAW looks like for the above:

post-94-0-96693400-1627334037.jpg

Viewing those as stereo pairs would be an interesting experience! I believe you are right about the IR leak, but without disassembling the thing it may be difficult to track down. You could take the UV and IR sides as separate exposures with the other side capped, and that might be an interesting test to run, but such a protocol might spoil the fun a bit.

Looking cool. Is that the one that can be adjusted for focal length?

I tested a Loreo one. But the internal optics are plastic and it cuts off everything below 400nm. No UV through at all. In hindsight may have been fun for UV induced fluorescence in visible and IR. Or just Visible and IR imaging.

I have been slowly making a fused silica 3D lens with two 6mm diameter, 18mm focal length lenses. I have 6 elements and was going to make three with different element spacing for various macro distances. But I might just settle for one spacing and distance. UVC is much closer to focus with it than visible. I may also just make one with spacing for visible and one spacing for UVC, to get the same image. But thats a slow project.

I haven't seen Bernard here in a long time.

Andy Perrin
Yes, it can be adjusted for focal length and all glass optics too. Inside needs cleaning, it has some kind of gunk on one of the windows. I looked at the Loreo and chose not to bother because of the plastic and not being able to switch lenses.