UltravioletPhotography

Finally got an iPhone. Question about UV/IR.

Andrea B.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 reached 8 years old, so I decided it might be time to replace it. Not that I really needed to. I think my old S4 would have actually continued for a few more years with a battery replacement and a cracked screen replacement. But I was wanting to try an iPhone for better privacy and for its camera. Of course, for the camera!! :lol: I had heard good things about both.

Yes, I do know that privacy on any mobile/cell can be rather easily breached, but some are better than others. And yes, I do know about the Pegasus software. It's difficult for me to imagine that I am on some government's list for investigation of snapshots of kitty-cats and flowers. La! I do take goofy snapshots of stuff like everybody else

Anyway, I saved up and got the Max Pro 12. For a couple of weeks I totally hated the thing. Then I started playing with the camera and now I totally LOVE the 12. I've gone crazy making panos! And the little editor tweaks are really amazing compared to the ancient edits I had with my S4. You can make really good snapshots with the 12. I can now see using the 12 for the taking some of the flower photos in the field as documentation of my botanical specimens. We'll see on that. Sometimes the light is so bright that only an eye to the viewfinder works for field work. But I've seen several examples here on UVP which are quite good.

I like the new *big* cellies. It is much easier for me to hold. I was forever fumbling and dropping my old S4. And the new screens are really good.

Well enough of that. My question is whether or not anyone has tried an iPhone for Infrared?I don't recall what we have here on UVP. I'm going to google around this afternoon to look into this, but any info anyone has would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I also need to figure out how you transfer photos from phone to laptop. I've never particularly needed to do that, but might want to now. I can look this up myself, but if anyone knows any good tricks, let me know. Via wireless or bluetooth?

UPDATE LATER: wow, ez peezy. Just USB the phone to the laptop and click import in iPhone Photos. cool.

Cheers from your pano-maniac -- Andrea B.

Andy Perrin

I used an iPhone 4 for infrared back in the day. However I discovered that there was excellent blocking built into the case even at that time and I had to remove the little window on the back plate to get any IR through.

Also I have the 12 Max Pro now also, and I use Air Drop to move photos to my Mac. Much easier than USB.

I strongly recommend buying one of the RAW apps in the App Store. Apple does a lot of computational smoothing and things that give the photos from the built on app a very artificial filtered look. RAW looks like normal photos and you get more control over exposure.

ETA: I just tried it and actually the 12 Max Pro passed quite a bit of IR with a Hoya!

post-94-0-75207300-1627073802.jpg

Andy, I'm quite sure there are apps that shoot RAW for free. Lightroom mobile is a good example iirc. It even has some great features like simulated long exposures that still give you DMG files I think.
Andy Perrin
Fandyus, there are plenty of "free" apps, which then have all their features limited (or a limited number of photos you can take) unless you pay up to enable them. Basically anything worth having is not free.

Air Drop! Of course! Thank you, Andy, for the reminder.

That Hoya IR doesn't look too bad. I'll have to experiment. I don't want to take anything apart at this stage. Maybe later.

I will probably get a Raw App if I start to use the iPhone for documentary field shots. I have a lot to learn first (not just about the camera). Using the free versions for a trial is always nice. Then if I like it, I'll pay up. :lol:

Fandyus, there are plenty of "free" apps, which then have all their features limited (or a limited number of photos you can take) unless you pay up to enable them. Basically anything worth having is not free.

I was going to say get the smugmug camera awesome app. But looks like they had to kill it after iOS11. They didn't want to rebuild it from ground up.

So I don't know what would be good and free.

Andy, that's indeed quite a lot of IR. You even have some false colors. (Also, your neighbor fixed his roof, here for reference).

I remember how my old phone was quite sensitive to IR, but my current one blocks it better. The photos weren't very good anyway, with lots of flares and strange defects. You could tell the camera lens was not designed for IR.

Andy Perrin

Andy, that's indeed quite a lot of IR. You even have some false colors. (Also, your neighbor fixed his roof, here for reference).

I remember how my old phone was quite sensitive to IR, but my current one blocks it better. The photos weren't very good anyway, with lots of flares and strange defects. You could tell the camera lens was not designed for IR.

The roof fix was 4 days ago!

Andy Perrin

Air Drop! Of course! Thank you, Andy, for the reminder.

That Hoya IR doesn't look too bad. I'll have to experiment. I don't want to take anything apart at this stage. Maybe later.

I will probably get a Raw App if I start to use the iPhone for documentary field shots. I have a lot to learn first (not just about the camera). Using the free versions for a trial is always nice. Then if I like it, I'll pay up. :lol:

My new phone (as opposed to the old iphone 4) was not disassembled, I literally just held up a hoya filter to the camera. I bet you could make something that clips over it pretty easily, or build a hoya filter into a case.