UltravioletPhotography

UV-pass bottles

Stefano

I saw this a while ago, but never posted about it.

Do you want a black glass bottle that becomes transparent in UV? Check out this website: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://infinityjars.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjQ0dfy6vbxAhWLC-wKHSYjDcgQFjAAegQIHRAC&usg=AOvVaw0bxUkWokkYj9m3KMnpddGP

They sell all types of glass containers that block visible light and allow UVA and infrared light to pass through to "preserve freshness". According to them, visible light can spoil food or beverages (and that's a known fact, as often wine and beer bottles are dark) but they also say that UV light and IR light are beneficial. IR photons have less energy than visible light photons, so they often can not induce chemical reactions, but UV photons are more energetic and often do more damage than visible light, so that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

These containers appear probably transparent with a yellow tint in UV. They should behave more or less like incandescent blacklights, also transparent in UV.

I actually would like to see UV photos of blacklights (all types), and filters such as the Baader U. I bet all those things looks yellow-green in UV. It's a curiosity I would like to satisfy.

Stefano says.... " Do you want a black glass bottle that becomes transparent in UV? "

These bottles, as well as the brown glass bottles are to block UVA, as it shows in the picture....

If you scroll down the main website in the "Features" section, there is an image showing violet light coming through the bottle.

I won't buy one as I have no use for it other than taking some photos for "UV art". The thing I don't understand is how UV light is beneficial for food.

enricosavazzi

[...] The thing I don't understand is how UV light is beneficial for food.

If the glass is transparent enough to UVB (and if there is enough UVB in the environment), then it may help to inhibit bacterial and fungal growth. However, UV damage may also occur on organic and biological contents. If it is only transparent to UVA, then the sterilizing effect is minor or none. Removing red light may also help to prevent photosynthesis, but a completely opaque bottle or any dark storage would have the same effect.

Dark blue bottles have been fashionable since Victorian time.

Sounds like a great way to get poisoned when the glass oxidizes..

I mean I think it's really cool but the benefits they mention seem to be pretty sketchy too. UV light is literally known for ruining beer.

And also why IR is beneficial too? The idea I have of IR light is that it is "inert", it hardly reacts with anything (IR film is one of the few things IR light can react with). IR photons don't have a lot of energy.

The only interesting thing about those containers (at least for me) is how they may appear in UV (they should be slightly transparent in IR too). They would be the opposite of polycarbonate. One can make a cool comparison image where you see them as transparent in UV and opaque in visible light, just as you can do the opposite for polycarbonate goggles or sunscreen. A party trick, sort of.

They may also be useful to filter out visible light and most IR from light sources. Putting a car headlight halogen bulb inside one of those bottles will produce something similar to an incandescent blacklight.

Andy Perrin
Normally people try to get rid of UV to prevent medicines and such from getting spoiled. I have not heard of IR being beneficial to anything except perhaps helping people's eyes, but you don't wear bottles on your eyes. At least I don't.

I just looked at their video and this is extremely sketchy, they basically claimed that they left a tomato in the jar for 6 months and it didn't even dry out or spoil, no proof though, they literally just shopped a cut out tomato in front of the image of the jar...

what clownery

ZWB2 glass must be so cheap you can make bottles out of it.

I wonder what the heavy metal content is?

Tomatoes are great for leaching anything out, as very acidic.

As I once wrote here, "Wood's glass is special barium-sodium-silicate glass incorporating about 9% nickel oxide", from Wikipedia.

Wood's glass is of the U-360/UG1/ZWB2 type, transmitting approximately from 320 to 400 nm with a peak at 365 nm, again according to Wikipedia. That's what they probably use.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe what they say, but those black glass bottles do look cool.

For sure, I'd buy one second hand maybe but not directly from them. That just feels like I'm supporting a bunch of scammers.