UltravioletPhotography

black water with a silicon sensor... for $7.39

Sounds a little too good to be true? Well it might be, I didn't count the 950nm longpass that I used in the price. But if you don't already own one, a piece that corresponds in size to the other filter can probably be had for next to nothing on eBay.

What's the other filter? This.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133238203848

It was extremely cheap so I didn't expect much, I was afraid of striations and such, turns out the biggest downfall of this item is the low OD, which isn't even specified. I asked the seller and they said they contacted the supplier, who said that there is no specific OD value.

But believe it or not, it seems to be a legitimate 980nm bandpass, sitting very close to the first absorbtion band of water, even though it leaks other wavelengths including visible.

I will now describe my setup.

I putty mounted the filter on the back of my Industar 50-2, it fits extremely snuggly in there, so it didn't end up protruding more than the adapted lens would have otherwise, not even on infinity.

post-350-0-86375300-1626023523.jpg

At the front I mounted a few different filters using a series of step up rings.

For illumination, I used incandescent lightsources.

Reference:

post-350-0-23469600-1626023905.jpg

980nm bandpass only:

post-350-0-22417900-1626023939.jpg

Here's where you can see faint colors on the soap bottle. The filter leaks visible. Looking through it with the naked eye makes it look like an ND filter.

980nm bandpass + 720nm longpass:

post-350-0-90191200-1626023964.jpg

980nm bandpass + 950nm longpass:

post-350-0-15233700-1626024002.jpg

The water truly did end up being quite dark, not ink-dark but more like really-strong-black-tea-dark.

I am planning to buy other 15mm NIR bandpasses to see if I can make trichromes like Bernard did. Hopefully it will work. I have ordered a 850nm bandpass and I will test it once it arrives.

Andy Perrin
Yep, that's right. It's pretty good! Glad we now have a cheaper source of 980nm filters. Regarding the degree of water darkness, that is about what you should expect to see. To get truly ink-like water, you need a SWIR camera so you can do the 1450nm water absorption peak like I did around here in that time lapse. If you do deeper water you will get darker results. Try a fountain or a bathtub.

Yep, that's right. It's pretty good! Glad we now have a cheaper source of 980nm filters. Regarding the degree of water darkness, that is about what you should expect to see. To get truly ink-like water, you need a SWIR camera so you can do the 1450nm water absorption peak like I did around here in that time lapse. If you do deeper water you will get darker results. Try a fountain or a bathtub.

Thanks for explaining!

Andy Perrin
It definitely needs the long pass - you can see it's leaking visible light in the first shot. There shouldn't be any color at all at 980nm unless the WB is set wrong or something.
Just noticed an odd thing: the “SANYTOL” writing on the soap container disappears completely only in the 980 nm filter-only photo, and is partially visible in the others. Usually the opposite happens.
Andy Perrin
I don't think that means anything, Stefano, except that the first photo is contaminated with IR light that's probably in the 700nm range. Presumably at 980nm there is a difference between the background and text, but not in the 700's.
Thanks Stefano, I suspect the writing almost disappears because the leaking wavelengths simply strike a balance and even out the colors almost completely. In the pictures that are further filtered this doesn't happen.