UltravioletPhotography

good new deal on dichroic color filters from Tangsinuo

I have been talking with Mr. Jason Li of Tangsinuo for the last few days, in order to make a custom order. Mainly I wanted to get a 4mm worth of small (37mm) ZWB1 filters to achieve good OD, however turns out custom sizes come with quite the premium price and one small filter like this is more expensive than a 52mm one so I gave it up. One thing however, I asked Mr. Li if it's possible to put one of those cyan "Gobo Projector" glasses into a filter ring (wanted to buy one because Andy Broomé has discovered in 2019 that it sort of looks like IR Chrome https://www.ultravio...h__1#entry30206) . He said that that can be arranged and the 55mm filter would cost 5USD and he put a new option for this on their product page. I think that's a pretty good deal for something with a dichroic cutoff. Not awesome for wide angles but someone here could have a use for such a thing. I hopefully will :grin:. I actually might try other colors of this at some point, to see how they look on a full-spectrum camera. All of the colors have the potential to be pretty interesting looking. I wonder what the black one does especially (though that one might not be the best one visually).

https://www.aliexpre....4f614c4d9S1aU3 - the "55mm with ring" option

Andy Perrin

Yeah, custom anything will be expensive, although sometimes we have made group orders for things on the board (the most recent example I can think of is our group discount on Photo Ninja).

Nifty of them to make that filter an option.

Well now I wish more people here wanted small ZWB1 filters..

And yes, quite nifty. I didn't think they'd expand their catalogue just for my order.

I do have a 3 mm thick ø30 mm ZWB1 filter (unmounted), I don't remember where I bought it, probably on eBay. They shouldn't be uncommon.
Problem is I don't exactly have much knowledge about how to put a filter inside a thread. If I did my life would be way easier. I'd probably make very thick stacks.

Ulf suggested me to buy some cheap "UV filters", those that are supposed to cut UV and replace the glass. That's how I (finally) mounted my ZWB2 and Chinese BG39 filters. You need a tool to unscrew the retainer ring: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=lens+spanner&_sacat=0 (this is the same link Ulf sent me).

The only problem is that if your filter/stack is thicker than the original glass, you won't be able to screw back the retaining ring all the way, and this means that you will not be able to screw the filters all the way when stacking them, the threads are too shallow on the front. This is what happened to me, but it's not a problem in my case.

I suggest close up filter rings, some are available in deeper versions, leaving more room in the front for retaining rings, and thread depth.

Also, here are some calipers that work well for unscrewing retaining rings. These can be modified to make them even more versatile.

You can find them on eBay.

Dunlap 4022 Caliper

I suggest close up filter rings, some are available in deeper versions, leaving more room in the front for retaining rings, and thread depth.

Also, here are some calipers that work well for unscrewing retaining rings. These can be modified to make them even more versatile.

You can find them on eBay.

Dunlap 4022 Caliper

Steve, do you have any sources for buying the deeper 52mm filter rings (without filters already in them) - I've got a few filters which are quite thick and could do with some of these deeper rings? I've been able to get normal 52mm rings but not the deep ones.

Jonathan, at the moment it is a little random, but try to find some #10 close up filter (or set containing a #10) with a deep ring. I don't have a dependable source for those right now.

They are out there, but check to make sure the photo is accurate.

Cheers Steve.

Thanks Ulf, yes I've seen those close up lenses for sale, but was hoping to find some empty filter rings from somewhere, rather than breaking up some existing filters.

May not be a bad option. That 10x close up filter should be a single element, maybe 50mm or around there equivalent. If its K9 glass, you could test its UV transmission.

Correction, just read that the + indicates typically the diopter. Thus a +1 element is 1000mm focal length, +2 element is 500mm focal length, +4 element is 250mm focal length and +10 is 100mm focal length element.