UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Ontario

Doppler9000

Doppler9000

I have been shooting digital IR for 20 years, on and off.

I am going to have a camera converted to full spectrum, and looking forward to shooting in UV.

Hello! I'm glad to see a new member. How much do you already know about UV photography?
Doppler9000

Hello! I'm glad to see a new member. How much do you already know about UV photography?

I have read quite a bit here, but am still at the beginning of my learning.

I need to get a lens or two, and will be digging in on lenses that will cover a 55mm diagonal at infinity. I am assuming that may include a 105mm+ Nikkor El lens?

I have read quite a bit here, but am still at the beginning of my learning.

I need to get a lens or two, and will be digging in on lenses that will cover a 55mm diagonal at infinity. I am assuming that may include a 105mm+ Nikkor El lens?

I'm not sure whether it has big enough coverage but the Industar 50-2 is a great starter UV lens.

Doppler9000

The metal 105mm EL-Nikkor has good coverage.

Are there specific versions of the 105mm that are more desirable for UV?

The 80mm EL-Nikkors are covering Ø100mm.

There are two versions with metal cases that are OK for UV:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4280-nikon-80mm-f56-el-nikkor-nippon-kogaku-japan/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4279-nikon-80mm-f56-el-nikkor-old-metal-version/

As they are enlarger lenses they need to be mounted on helicoids for focussing.

Andy's comment above is slightly incorrect as it is the case that is metal, not a focus ring.

enricosavazzi
[...]

The El Nikkor 105 mm old style (= metal barrel) according to Nikon literature covers 65 x 90 mm, while the 80 mm old style "only" covers 56 x 72 mm. This means image circle diameters of roughly 110 vs 91 mm, so both lenses should amply cover your requirements.

There is no guarantee that the image circle diameter, corner vignetting and flatness of field specified for VIS are completely unchanged in NUV, but given the ample margins of these specifications vs your requirement, they should cover the latter.

One thing to make sure when purchasing either lens is that the original adapter that ends with a male M39 mount is included. Without this adapter it is difficult to find a third-party adapter to mount these lenses on focusing helicoids and/or extension tubes.

The El Nikkor 105 mm old style (= metal barrel) according to Nikon literature covers 65 x 90 mm, while the 80 mm old style "only" covers 56 x 72 mm. This means image circle diameters of roughly 110 vs 91 mm, so both lenses should amply cover your requirements.

There is no guarantee that the image circle diameter, corner vignetting and flatness of field specified for VIS are completely unchanged in NUV, but given the ample margins of these specifications vs your requirement, they should cover the latter.

One thing to make sure when purchasing either lens is that the original adapter that ends with a male M39 mount is included. Without this adapter it is difficult to find a third-party adapter to mount these lenses on focusing helicoids and/or extension tubes.

Actually Enrico, the old literature on your site state.

Ø100mm ( 56 x 72 mm format ) for the EL-Nikkor 80mm

and

Ø130mm ( 65 x 90 mm format ) for the EL-Nikkor 105mm

I am very grateful for you posting those brochures.

They are my source for much information in my lens data posts for the EL-Nikkor lenses.

When you said "This means image circle diameters of roughly 110 vs 91 mm " I had to check if I had made a mistake in my topics, but the diameter of the circles are stated as Ø100mm and Ø130mm

Nice that you can handle your Pythagoras. :wink: