UltravioletPhotography

Cylindropuntia imbricata [Cane Cholla]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2021) Cylindropuntia imbricata Haw. F.M. Knuth (Cactaceae) Cane Cholla. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. https://www.ultravio...ta-cane-cholla/

La Secuela, Eldorado at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

02 July 2021

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Opuntia imbricata (Haw.) DC.
  • Cylindropuntia lloydii (Rose) F.M. Knuth

Other Common Names:

Tree Cholla

Comment:

References:

1. SEINet Arizona-New Mexico Chapter (acc 22 Mar 2021) Cylindropuntia imbricata.

This is a southwestern biodiversity organization making use of the Symbiota portal software.

2. Southwest Colorado Wildflowers (acc 22 Mar 2021) Cylindropuntia imbricata.

Website published and maintained by Al Schneider and hosted by Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory.

3. Wildflowers of New Mexico (acc 22 Mar 2021) Cylindropuntia imbricata.

Website published and maintained by George Oxford Miller.

4. Allred, Kelly W., Jercinovic, Eugene M., Ivey, Robert DeWitt (2021) Flora Neomexicana III: An Illustrated Identification Manual, Second Edition, Part 2, Cactaceae Key, page NNN. Print on demand at lulu.com.

5. Finley, Willa F., Nieland, Lashara J. (2013) Land of Enchantment Wildflowers. Cylindropuntia imbricata, page NNN. Texas Tech University Press, Lubbock, Texas.

6. Littlefield, Larry J., Burns, Pearl M. (2015) Wildflowers of the Northern and Central Mountains of New Mexico. Cylindropuntia imbricata, page NNN. University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

D610 + UV-Nikkor

Visible

Lots of critters visited this cactus flower while I was photographing it.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_vis_sun_20210702laSecuela_24838pn01.jpg

Infrared B+W 092

Insects always stand out in IR.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_ir092_sun_20210702laSecuela_24865pn01.jpg

Ultraviolet UV-Baader + Sun

Look in the upper left corner to see the curly trail of an insect who flew away while I was photographing the flower. This photo was purposefully lightened a bit more than normal simply to see what was there.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_uvBaad_sun_20210702laSecuela_24846pn01.jpg

Ultraviolet UV-Baader + SB-140

This standardized UV version shows the typical light/dark contrasts seen in cactus flowers for which the tepals are almost always quite UV absorbing with patches of iridescence or shininess. The reproductive parts are much more UV-reflective. The style is a distinctive bright false lavender-blue.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_uvBaad_sb140_20210702laSecuela_24856pn01.jpg

UV+Blue+Green with U-330 x 2.0 mm + S8612 x 2.0 mm

This version features a standardized white balance which elicits the blue/green/cyan colors thought to be detectable by bees. In the bottom of the flower under the stigma/style you can see the stripes of a honeybee who has done a deep dive into the flower.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_u330x2_s8612x2_sun_20210702laSecuela_24875pn01.jpg

UV+Blue+Green with U-330 x 2.0 mm + S8612 x 2.0 mm

This version shows the raw composite colors with no white balance applied.

cylindropuntiaImbricata_u330x2_s8612x2_sun_20210702laSecuela_24875rawComposite01pn.jpg

DaveO

The Blue Banded Bee is a cutie.

Although I have lived within its distribution area all my life, it was not until the last 10 years that I have see these guys.

Unlike honey bees they don't live in hives & the females live a solitary life raising her young.

The males live in a small group of about half-a-dozen, less then ten, & spend the night in a row on a small branch of a small plant, & they hang on with their mandible, with their legs tucked under themselves.

Nice pictures, Andrea.

I am very glad to see that you have started including more pictures with alternative filtration, than basic VIS and UV.

It also reminds me that I must include an IR-shot in my future sets.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

DaveO and Col - That is a honeybee in my photos. I looked at that blue banded bee of yours. Looks like quite a cool little bee! I do love bees.