UltravioletPhotography

Orchid v2: ZWB2 vs ZWB1

One of my first posts here was this lousy noob post, where I took a moth a Moth Orchid, Phalaenopsis (props to Birna for identifying it), illuminated it with my 365nm torch, and took a picture with my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 equipped with a Tangsinuo ZB2. Not ideal as you might imagine.

https://www.ultravio...4507-an-orchid/

WELL, since then, I got some better toys. I now have a full spectrum flash, two filters that create a viable stack while coupled with a QB39 and two lenses that pass UV well. Obviously this is not the same specimen, as the original flower portrayed is probably drinking up sunlight with it's ancestors by now.

Normal image:

post-350-0-28900900-1625080996.jpg

ZWB1 + QB39, full spectrum Speedlite 199A, Industar 50-2

post-350-0-39038600-1625081118.jpg

ZWB2 + QB39, full spectrum Speedlite 199A, Industar 50-2

post-350-0-89906900-1625081144.jpg

There doesn't seem to be that much difference between the two filters, besides some expansion of grey areas and a slight shift to the hue of the flower. One interesting thing to note is the appearance of white dots, similar to how freckles are highlighted in humans. The ZWB2 also allowed for around 1 stop brighter image with the same exposure.

Does anyone have any other comparisons of the ZWB2 and ZWB1 or it's more expensive equivalents by other manufacturers? I would love to see.

Nicely done, Fandyus.

I'm always amused by the bright "nose" of these orchids. :smile:

And it's cool to see that your new gear is working out well for you.

I have to go look up what the Z filters are equivalent to. Then I might know of some comparisons somewhere.

Filter Equivalencies: LINK

ZB1 ZWB1 = UG11 = U-340

ZB2 ZWB2 = UG1 = U-360

Nicely done, Fandyus.

I'm always amused by the bright "nose" of these orchids. :smile:

And it's cool to see that your new gear is working out well for you.

I have to go look up what the Z filters are equivalent to. Then I might know of some comparisons somewhere.

Filter Equivalencies: LINK

ZB1 = UG11 = U-340

ZB2 = UG1 = U-360

Thank you!

And thanks for the link as well, very useful.

The slight purple in the ZWB2 is what I would expect. The Zwb1 looks good to. I think you got a great set of filters with the right amount of blocking.

Andrea forgot the W. She must have a keyboard from 2001.

Zwb1 equivalent to U340 = ug11

ZWB2 equivalent to u360 = ug1

Zwb3 equivalent to u330 = ug5

Zb1 equivalent to Hoya B390 equivalent to BG25

Zb2 equivalent to schott BG3

Zb3 equivalent to Hoya B370

The slight purple in the ZWB2 is what I would expect. The Zwb1 looks good to. I think you got a great set of filters with the right amount of blocking.

Zwb1 equivalent to U340 = ug11

ZWB2 equivalent to u360 = ug1

Zwb3 equivalent to u330 = ug5

Zb1 equivalent to Hoya B390 equivalent to BG25

Zb2 equivalent to schott BG3

Zb3 equivalent to Hoya B370

Thanks, I unfortunately have to buy one more since the ZWB1 I have right now has a striation. I was also thinking I could get a tiny 4-5mm thick version for my Industar 50-2 to achieve better OD

:grin: :cool: :rolleyes:

I have for whatever unknown dyslexic(?) reason never been able to properly spell the Z filter names. So I have persistently and embarrassingly messed up ZB and ZWB. I went back and repaired my post.

I hate seeing people spend their money on these Z filters and then get bad ones. Maybe it is best to save up your money for a Schott/Hoya stack or for a good name-brand filter ?????

I'd love to afford the luxury options but they cost literally twelve times as much as one cheap Optima made filter would. Some of them will be faulty but at the end of the day I'll still end up paying a lot less. I'm a student and I have to sped wisely.
It depends also on how lucky you are. All chinese filters I bought were perfect. Sometimes it's a coin toss.

I've been a student also. So I do understand the need to be careful with the money.

I only wish I knew how to ensure you will get a good filter!

I've been a student also. So I do understand the need to be careful with the money.

I only wish I knew how to ensure you will get a good filter!

I wish I knew as well, but thanks for understanding.

It depends also on how lucky you are. All chinese filters I bought were perfect. Sometimes it's a coin toss.

Yes, so far the only faulty filters I got was the ZWB1 in question and a few dirt cheap plastic color filters I got for experiments.