UltravioletPhotography

[UV SAFETY] UV-C Light Is Dangerous

Andrea B.

UltravioletPhotography.com does not support using UV-C lighting for UV photography. 

UltravioletPhotography.com is not responsible for any damage you might do to yourself or others when using UV-C illumination.

We have prominently pinned this warning and require a reference to it in any UV-C topic.

NEVER look at a UV-C light.

NEVER let UV-C light hit your skin or eyes directly or by reflection.

UV-C light can cause

• severe burns of the eyes and the skin, and
  • damaged DNA from broken chromosomes.

.When working with UV-C illumination you MUST cover up completely!

• 100% cotton clothing (laboratory grade, tight weave)
    • socks, pants, long-sleeved shirt, GLOVES
    • no polyester
  • UV protective face shield which also has head and neck covering.

.When working with UV-C illumination you MUST have strong ventilation!

• UV-C lights produce OZONE which builds up very quickly.
  • Even so-called "ozone-free" germicidal bulbs still produce some ozone.

The United States Food & Drug Administration has an excellent write-up about UV-C

within the context of killing the Covid-19 virus. The information is relevant for any use of UV-C lighting.

UV Lights and Lamps: Ultraviolet-C Radiation, Disinfection and Coronavirus

Also from the US FDA is the following informative article:

Ultraviolet (UV) Radiation

22 July 2021

UltravioletPhotography.com is not responsible for any injuries resulting from the use of Ultraviolet light of any type. Any UVP member using UV illumination from any source does so at their own risk. We have prominently pinned UV safety warnings. The first linked topic below has extensive links to other info about UV light and its dangers.

Any topics discussing UV-C are required to reference this UV-C safety warning.

[UV SAFETY] UV-C Light Is Dangerous:  READ THAT

NEVER look at a UV-C light.

NEVER let UV-C light hit your skin or eyes directly or by reflection.

UV-C light can cause:

• severe burns eyes/skin and DNA damage from broken chromosomes.

When working with UV-C illumination, you MUST:

• cover up completely and have strong ventilation.

• 4 weeks later...
I have added some linked references and also links to other pinned UVP safety topics.
Bill De Jager
As far as I can tell it seems that UV-C is usually limited to the region above 100nm, with the region below that classified as extreme UV which is the highest-energy band in UV. Not that we're particularly likely to be imaging in that band or exposed to it.
Below ~100 nm (above X-rays) nothing is transparent, not even air. I think such radiation wouldn't even reach human skin or eyes unless in a vacuum.
Bill De Jager

Below ~100 nm (above X-rays) nothing is transparent, not even air. I think such radiation wouldn't even reach human skin or eyes unless in a vacuum.

Yes, such work would need to be done in a vacuum. The only examples of working with these wavelengths that I'm personally aware of are ultrafine chip photolithography and space photography of the sun. Apparently exotic materials do exist that are transparent to some degree (https://www.rvo.nl/s...-circuits-nmeic) but I don't expect they would be used in the housing for the vacuum chamber needed for this work. It doesn't seem plausible that the radiation would get outside the chamber or that skin or eyes would be inside the vacuum chamber.

So, it looks like my point ends up being purely academic and not really relevant. Sorry for the diversion, but at least I did some interesting internet searching!