UltravioletPhotography

Pink is not Blue -- Once Again Repairing a Blue Color

Andrea B.

Getting blue/purple flowers to be the correct color has become quite a difficult task.

The flower is a Penstemon which has a striking, vivid dark blue color combined with some moderately dark purple/pinkish blushes. I cannot get the correct color unless I adjust the color manually* after conversion and white balance.

I recently posted an example of a Blue Flax flower for which I had a similar problem. But this Penstemon flower is worse. It is completely off in color.

*By "manual color adjustment" I mean a color adjustment made using either

a color brush in PSE or using a color point in NX2 either of which are applied only to the flowers.

Here are 3 conversion attempts followed by the repaired color.

610_1423pnWbNoProf.jpg

610_1423nx2Wb.jpg

This Photo Ninja profiled version is only slightly closer to the actual color.

610_1423pnWbD610Prof.jpg

This version is close enough to keep.

The color was repaired in Capture NX2 by placing a color point onto a flower and adjusting the red (less) and blue (more) sliders until the color looked as much like the flower before me as I could make it. I also had to darken the color with the color point brightness slider.

610_1423pnWbD610ProfAdjust.jpg

I'm sure everyone said whatever there is to say about this when I showed the Blue Flax flower, so I'm not really expecting any replies or comments. :lol:

However, this example may be of use to someone in the future who needs to know that the correct colors can be "painted in" successfully. :cool: :rolleyes: :bee: :bee: :bee: