UltravioletPhotography

BG25 filter garden shots

Very nice, I have the Chinese equivalent to this (QB29) and it makes everything yellow instead.

msg-350-0-89286500-1623775755.jpg

I just closely looked at the spectra that Tangsinuo has. My ZB1 is closer to Jonathan's than the QB 29. The QB29, starts to increase in the lower 600s. Thus why mostly likely yellow. Jonathan's starts to increase in later 600s, thus orangish red. Mine might be in the middle. I think it was orange or orangeish red.

Yes more orange than Jonathan:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/4554-fun-with-zb1-filter-on-sigma-18-35mm-with-olympus-em5mk2/page__view__findpost__p__45002

What a difference a white balance makes. If I whitebalance the first two images with the whitebalance target shot for the final one (the one which was done with the sun behind a cloud) I get stronger reds, and the sky takes on a more blue/purple hue.

post-148-0-96030700-1624454896.jpg

post-148-0-25926200-1624454921.jpg

My opinion, running either of these two through Photoshop/Image/Adjustments/Levels/Auto will improve them. Again, my opinion.

Which tells us that it’s not even close to the same spectrum. That’s gorgeous though.

Thanks.

Jonathan, I do apologize for the following off topic question, but what lives in the cage?

Do you have a parrot or a rabbit? Just curious.

Whatever it is, perhaps you could photograph it in UV? :grin: :grin: :grin:

And another off topic question. Is that a palm tree I see in the background of that last photo?

Palm trees grow in England ?? !!!

Andrea, the cages are for bird food. The cages keep the bigger birds out while allowing the smaller ones in to get at the food.

Yep, plenty of places in the UK where palms grow, even well up into Scotland. We have one in the front garden, and the neighbours have a couple in their back garden.

Aha, that is clever. And your little birdies are happy about it, I'll bet. Here my big birds (Ravens) seem not to be interested in the small bird feeders so far. But I will keep this in mind in case I ever need to implement it. I would have to hang such a feeder cage from a pole so that the desert rodents, squirrels and bunnies would be kept out, but that is doable.

Palm trees. My goodness! I suppose I've always thought of those as tropical plants.

Andrea, yes the birds like the protection the feeders offer. It generally stops things like pigeons, magpies and the like. At night I remove the food from inside, and leave it propped open, as we have hedgehogs that visit. They can squeeze in but have been know not to be able to squeeze out again.

Not sure what type of palms they are here, but I've seen them throughout the UK. Gulf Stream effect I presume.

Palm trees. My goodness! I suppose I've always thought of those as tropical plants.

it doesn't look like a palm to me, but a Dracaena fragrans or a similar plant that produces white flowers

We have a Trachycarpus Fortunei (or perhaps a Mediterranean fan palm, not too good with names for them) in the front garden, and something else which I don't know the name off. Not sure exactly what the neighbours have.

EDIT - having had a look online, the tree in the image that Andrea spotted could well be a Yucca of some type, and we also have a similar one in addition to the one I mentioned.

But, yes,we do have palms in the UK as well....

I thought the truth was Jonathan never really lived in the UK. Just a ploy to hide.

We now know you really just live on the Turks and Caicos Islands

• 2 weeks later...

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Or maybe in the British Virgin Islands.....