UltravioletPhotography

Lucanus servus [Stag beetle] in reflected UV, visible and IR

Crowther, J.M. (2021) Lucanus servus L. (Lucanidae) Stag Beetle. Photographs in visible, ultraviolet and infrared light.

Synonyms:

• Lucanus scapulodonta Weinreich, 1963
  • Scarabaeus cervus Linnaeus, 1758
  • Scarabaeus tridentatus Linnaeus, 1758 (partim.)

Reference:

Wikipedia (15 June 2021) Lucanus servus. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA.

Comment:

This male Stag Beetle was found dead (having flown into a window). Photographed in reflected UV in sunlight, using a UV converted Nikon D810 (converted by Advanced Camera Services Ltd) and using a Rayfact 105mm UV lens. ISO1000, f32, and 6s exposure. A Schott s8612 1mm was also used on the front the lens. Whitebalanced in Darktable. Cropped and reduced in resolution for sharing. A camera phone visible light shot is also shown for comparison.

Firstly, reflected UV.

post-148-0-22509800-1623753120.jpg

And, in visible light.

post-148-0-95126300-1623753139.jpg

Stupidly I took it at f32 without cleaning the sensor first. So, spent 20 mins cleaning the image.....

EDIT - as an after thought I went back out and did one in IR. Canon EOS 5DSR multispectral, Rayfact 105mm f22, Hoya R72. Whitebalanced in Darktable. Cropped and reduced in resolution for sharing. Slightly different positioning but lighting the same.

post-148-0-32607300-1623755141.jpg

Nice find. I would suggest using focus stacking for this 'stationary* insect .. that negates the use of very small apertures. With the UV-Nikkor/Rayfact I normally use f/4.5-f/5.6 at most..

The antlers of that beetle in IR are quite interesting. I'm glad you went back out for the IR version.

I'm going to give you a header and a reference. :wink: :bee:

Just read that these beetles only live a few weeks. So maybe yours just up and died?

This is a magnificent beetle, for sure !!

Thanks Andrea. Could be that it just died, but it was found directly outside a window and they do fly into them. Yes, the IR image was a bit of an afterthought, but I'm certainly glad I went back and did it.

Birna, yes, I'd love to spend more time doing macro work with a proper setup. For me though, I tend to take images in between work when i have a few minutes spare. I have however kept this one, and may return to it later when I can set up something a bit better.