UltravioletPhotography

U-330 stacks/graphs

I made this comparison graph today of various U-330 (Hoya equivalent of UG5) stacked with various S8612 thicknesses.

(note the Hoya data drop out in the 500nm/600nm range)

The usual standard being U-330 1.5mm + S8612 2mm, and the redder version being U-330 1mm + S8612 1mm.

Mostly to evaluate how much red comes through with thinner stacks.

post-87-0-20538800-1623206558.jpg

The U330 glass and maybe even the Ug1/U360 are the type I think you can get away with just BG39 and not need S8612 to block the IR.

I wonder why the Hoya data is missing for the 500-600 nm range?

Cadmium, do you have a set of these for UG5 also? For comparison.

(Or we might have a set posted somewhere?)

Andy Perrin
Andrea, it's practically opaque in the 500-600nm range, so they probably rounded transmittance to zero (it may have been unmeasurably small).
Andy I don't think so. There seems to be a small bump at 580nm with my filter. I think they are just lazy. Just mentally connect the curves there is data there. Or just use the UG5 to fill in the blank.

Andrea, Actually moments ago I went to get the link to Hoya U-330 data sheet, and it appears for the first time to me that they have updated their U-330 data to include the full visual range,

so I can now update that range in the Schott program to print our more inclusive U-330 graphs. Good! I have not checked the other Hoya U glass data yet, they may have updated the data for all their U glass.

As far as UG5, it works the same as U-330. Here is basically the same plots using Schott UG5 instead of Hoya U-330. I suggest using U-330 for price.

Someone wanted the comparison (showing more and more red included).

post-87-0-96298800-1623480072.jpg

A "0" data is what makes a 'data dropout' in the Schott program. If you put a "0" in it, then you get nothing, the plot drops to nothing, like the top graphs I posted here.

I think they were using "0" as an easy way to mean, "lower than you need to know", which may be true for some people, but not for us, or me.

I looked at U-340 which still has some "0" data, but the U-330 looks like it has been fully updated to show the entire visual range in real data.

Last I tried it, Hoya's program is lame in different instances, mostly based on the data they put in it, some of the data works, but not all of it, I don't know if they have updated it.