UltravioletPhotography

B+W Filter Designations

Interesting I am seeing both E and NC to mean single coating on both sides.

MRC is multi resistant coating on both sides.

MC is multi coating on both sides.

EW is extra wide

XS is extra slim

I see some sellers using ES, when they mean XS for extra slim. That could be it.

Yes could be a regional thing. The European links are using ES for extra slim and the USA sellers are using XS. I see that with Amazon. Exact same filter is XS in USA but ES in European Amazon stores.

I thought that ES could mean Extra Slim but a google image search revealed quite a few B+W filters imprinted with ES on the filter frame that don't appear to have a thin filter frame. I also couldn't find any mention of ES in several of the old and new B+W catalogues.
Actually I did find this...."E, ES European standard male threads 0.75mm...E, ES after the size"..... but it is somewhat contradicted by this....."B+W E and ES series...vintage non-slim 5mm thickness frames up to 62mm... 6mm thickness frames 67 > 82mm"
bobfriedman

Good question... and I have seen this designation.. the comment above is accurate, E stands for "Einschraub" or screw-in, as A stands for "Aufsteck" aka push-on. But I will search for ES

Heliopan uses ES quite frequently and it just might be short for EinSchraub. for example, 52mm (ES52) SH-PMC

I just found this in a forum somewhere, "E" is the german abbreviation for "Einschraubgewinde" = screw in thread. "ES" is the german abbreviation for "Einschraubgewinde Steil(e Gewindesteigung)" = screw in thread with steeper thread pitch than normal at the same thread diameter. "E" or "ES" are in-house specifications at B&W only.