UltravioletPhotography

Something fishy

Fisheye-lenses, to me, are kina like Lensbaby or the XR-Heligon, bad for everyday's photos but fun to take out for a spin a couple of times a year. Yesterday I took mine out for a walk by the river, and boy, is it tough to find something which really looks interesting with a fish-eye, although the IR-bit helps a little :wink:

Canon EOS 6D, converted to 700nm, Canon EF 8-15mm, at 8mm, of course

post-176-0-65235700-1622357732.jpg

post-176-0-38940100-1622357750.jpg

post-176-0-84148100-1622357761.jpg

post-176-0-41726600-1622357774.jpg

post-176-0-52695700-1622357783.jpg

post-176-0-56690800-1622357795.jpg

post-176-0-66894300-1622357815.jpg

Wonderful to see, thanks Stephan, I love a good fish-eye too especially IR.

Speaking of which..... I have a number of wide & ultra wide angle lenses from my crop sensor days.....now on full frame they now make smallish circle images on my sensor.

I should make some good use of them though, you have inspired me again.

Wonder to see, thanks Stephan, I love a good fish-eye too especially IR.

Speaking of which..... I have a number of wide & ultra wide angle lenses from my crop sensor days.....now on full frame they now make smallish circle images on my sensor.

I should make some good use of them though, you have inspired me again.

Thanks. Yes, do take some photos and show them here :grin:

The biggest problem with the fishe-eye is to remember to pull you feet back, or they will show in the bottom. I had to redo quite a few of my shots because of this :rolleyes:

Very nice images. I like the composition of most of them, but wonder if image #3 would look better if rotated a bit clockwise.

That is the only one including your shadow.

That lens is very sharp and it is quite practical to be able to shift from circular to full frame-fisheye.

It can take rear filters too and I have used mine with putty-mounted glass filters, on my EOD 60D.

I do not know if that is possible on a full format DSLR, but I will be able to use it like that on an adapter on my Sony A7III.

One more thing on my long and expanding to do list.

We can you apply for 36-hour days?

The biggest problem with the fishe-eye is to remember to pull you feet back, or they will show in the bottom. I had to redo quite a few of my shots because of this :rolleyes:

A monopod might be useful.

Also an external screen would help for the composition.

I wonder if VR-goggles could be used as an external display for the camera?

If that would be possible it could be interesting to try and see if it wold be practical to work with.

Maybe it is just a crazy idea.

Very nice images. I like the composition of most of them, but wonder if image #3 would look better if rotated a bit clockwise.

That is the only one including your shadow.

We can you apply for 36-hour days?

Possibly, I'd just have to put the photo into Photoshop, as in Lightroom rotating it will also crop it :smile: (Actually, on this one I was trying not to put the main object into the center of the frame)

If you ever find out about 36-hour days, let me know, although I think that you'd have to move to a different planet for this :wink:

Possibly, I'd just have to put the photo into Photoshop, as in Lightroom rotating it will also crop it :smile: (Actually, on this one I was trying not to put the main object into the center of the frame)

OK that makes sense and following my suggestion might make it more weird, with the big grass patch to the left further up.

It just made me dizzy.

I like your ideas of framing and selection of motif and will try to remember the general ideas.

Working with circular fisheye lenses is very different from with longer fl lenses.

These all look great. What a fun lens. You are right though, moderation is good. Trying to do nothing but circle fish for a week, might be interesting or too much.

Stephan, I really like fisheye. I especially like your #3 from the top, very nice! :smile:

These all look great. What a fun lens. You are right though, moderation is good. Trying to do nothing but circle fish for a week, might be interesting or too much.

Thanks, guys. I am contemplating devoting one more day to the fisheye, perhaps on the weekend, to also visit the other parts of the city centre. Will have to concentrate on architecture, though, as the local politicians did their best during the last decades to get rid of everything green :angry: . Now, with temperatures rising, suddenly they realised that concrete and glass are not the best materials for cooling down a city, and are slowly reintroducing a few trees here and a couple of bushes there.

I really enjoyed this Fisheye series.

The last photo is weird & eerie - love it !!

Also the 3rd photo is cool. Looks like alien artifacts on some strange planet.

Fisheye + Infrared is a very good combination, don't you think so?

I really enjoyed this Fisheye series.

Fisheye + Infrared is a very good combination, don't you think so?

Me too.

When using my Sunex fisheye I also found different kinds of IR more rewarding than the UV-images.

Me too.

Same here, maybe only two of these photos would have worked in VIS or UV, and not just because of chlorophyll, also the sky and clouds are pretty important.

Won't have time tomorrow, so took out the lens today, this time going for a bit more extreme views and some fun with the sun :wink:

post-176-0-31398700-1622836165.jpg

post-176-0-73658700-1622836177.jpg

post-176-0-80039600-1622836188.jpg

post-176-0-68368200-1622836201.jpg

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Nate said:

These are really cool, #3 is my favorite, composition and symmetry are great!

Thanks. Without the fog the messy background of trees and buildings would have ruined it.