UltravioletPhotography

Bunias orientalis [Warty-cabbage]: A Y-Bk

nfoto

Rørslett. B 2012. Bunias orientalis L. (Brassicaceae). Warty-cabbage. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet (UV) light, with UV-induced fluorescence. http://www.ultraviol...-warty-cabbage/

Bunias orientalis L.

NO: Russekål

SE: Ryssgubbe

DK: Takkeklap

FI: Idänukonpalko; Ukonpalko

DE: Orientalisches Zackenschötchen

EN: Warty-cabbage

A tall perennial species with a vigourous growth, B. orientalis is native to Eastern Europe and adjacent parts of Asia, and has become widely introduced and naturalised elsewhere in Europe from imports of Russian grain. The introduction to the Nordic countries dates back to late 17th Century (Norway, approx. 1840), so it has become an integral part of the local flora also in these countries. B. orientalis is a typical weed and thrives on road verges, fallow fields, and other disturbed soils. Its thick, stout tap root secures it a strong hold and it will gradually replace native vegetation in these habitats.

It flowers in late May or early June.The sprays of pale yellow flowers are eagerly visited by pollinators.

BUNA_ORI_I1105200119_VIS.jpg

[image reference: BUNI_ORI_I1105200119_VIS.jpg]

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter and BG-40, SB-140 flash

BUNA_ORI_I1105200122_UV.jpg

[image reference: BUNI_ORI_I1105200122_UV.jpg]

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2"(Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The petals are dull gray in UV, with the occasional darker patches close to the lower parts. Sepals are UV-bright on the inside and UV-dark on the outside. Pollen is UV-dark as well.

BUNA_ORI_I1105210165_UVIVFL.jpg

[image reference: BUNI_ORI_I1105210165_UVIVFL.jpg]

UV-induced visible fluorescence: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, Nichia UV LED (peak output 365 nm).

Pollen is brightly fluoresceing and so are the long hairs on the buds. Flower stalks in the inflorescence show dark-red fluorescence by chlorophyll.

[Published: 26 Dec 2012]