UltravioletPhotography

A Will Wetzlar 105/f4.5 Macro-Doryt lens for UV

rfcurry

I was trying to find something the other day and came upon a box with two macro lenses that required a bellows. One is a Piesker Picon 100/f3.5 and the other is a Will Wetzlar 105/f4.5 Macro-Doryt. I still haven't found what I was searching for, but I don't recall what it was anyway... I count that as a win.

Both of the macros were M42 mount, however, I do not have four-rail bellows in M42, just in Exakta mount. But, an adapter for M42 -> Exakta and an adapter for Exakta -> M4/3rds was sufficient to make the Novoflex bellows useful. See below:

post-19-0-79484400-1621021643.jpg

The Will Wetzlar company made mainly enlarger lenses and projection lenses but provided both branded and unbranded camera lenses as well. The company was started in 1923 by Wilhelm Will, a former apprentice of Ernst Leitz in Wetzlar. The company was taken over by Wild Leitz in 1986. Three examples of this lense are presently available on "the bay".

post-19-0-54222500-1621023894.jpg

The lense does not have threads for a filter. However, it does have a 10mm flat ring barrel that is stationary and projects past the objective. I decided to fix a filter ring to that ring. The outer diameter of the fixed ring is, iirc, 42.5mm. I have a plethora, maybe two plethora, of rubber O-rings in different sizes. So, I took an empty 43mm filter ring, inserted an O-ring, slid it onto the lens, and then put the 43mm retainer ring into the filter ring and cranked it down. That squished the rubber O-ring against the barrel of the lens and gave a secure fit. I then put a 43-52mm step-up ring on for the SEU Gen1 52mm UV filter. See the plan view below (52mm step-up not shown).

post-19-0-75679500-1621024427.jpg

Dandelion in UV, WB against hand, ISO400, f/11, 2.0s, at 12". Panasonic GF1 full spectrum modified. The lense was focused in Vis and the same focus used for UV. Image reduced to 1000px width.

post-19-0-71415000-1621026265.jpg

The white balance against hand is creative, I have never seen that. The lens looks sharp, the f/11 aperture surely helps in this.

Only 5 blades will not produce a round bokeh, some people prefer round ones.

Oh, I forgot, I used sunlight through clouds.

Have you ever noticed that the most photogenic dandelion grows beside the ugliest pile of dog poop? It's a law of nature.

Yeah, Col, Not.

Another law of nature is that the best bloom is on a long stem, and the wind begins after you have spent twenty minutes setting up for a shot.

Been there for sure with the winds. Birna sends in the full-force gales from Norway to test our patience. :grin: :lol: :wink: :cool: