UltravioletPhotography

Another visible-red UV-yellow flower

Not long ago I discovered that there are red flowers which appear false yellow in UV. Before that I thought only yellow flowers could be UV-yellow.

Today I found another example. It is likely that this flower has already been covered in the botanical section, but I don't know its name.

Visible references, taken with a Samsung Galaxy A40:

f/1.7, ISO 50, 1/100 s exposure

post-284-0-90048800-1620479896.jpg

f/1.7, ISO 64, 1/100 s exposure

post-284-0-56313900-1620479994.jpg

UV, with a full-spectrum Canon EOS M, Soligor 35 mm f/3.5 and Chinese BG39 (2 mm) + ZWB2 (2 mm):

f/4, ISO 100, 2 s exposure

post-284-0-43700200-1620480072.jpg

f/8, ISO 100, 30 s exposure

post-284-0-89640000-1620480151.jpg

The yellow is not as intense as a dandelion, but it still shows up nicely. Also, there is some lavender inside, so this flower has two UV colors in it.

Thanks. I'm sure there are a lot of red flowers like this in Oz, now that you have a nice camera system you can find them.
Yes I will have to do some scouting around, perhaps a local plant nursery, at least they should have some labels on them, because I won't have a clue..... ;-)
Thanks Andy. I'm sure Birna or someone else will identify it. I actually though about posting this topic in the ID section, but this was not the main point.
Anagallis arvensis, Primulaceae. The flowers are usually pale reddish, but there is a form with azure blue corolla.
I was sure this flower was already present in the botanical section, I don’t commonly see it but should be quite common overall.

Before that I thought only yellow flowers could be UV-yellow.

Then there is the flower with yellow tips which become false blue in UV. See Zinnia bicolor.

And here is a yellow flower with a blue bull's-eye. Arrowleaf Balsamroot.

I used to think that yellow couldn't become false blue in UV.

Wow, I didn't know that either! That is surely uncommon. We can always have surprises in UV and IR.