UltravioletPhotography

Sunflower in Sunlight, Visible Light & UV

I bought a Sunflower & took some photos my two Sigma fp cameras, both in full sunlight, one in visible light with the unconverted camera & the Sigma 45mm kit lens, & one in UVA light with the full spectrum converted one with the Canon 40mm pancake lens & Baader UVA filter.

I tried a UVA light photo with a Soligor 35mm, but the UVA colour & signature of the flower was the same with the Canon 40mm pancake, but much sharper & of course automatic with the pancake.

post-31-0-52963800-1620302237.jpg

post-31-0-06757900-1620302276.jpg

Colin, very nice. It surprises me that you didn't notice an improvement with the Soligor, the colors should be move "vivid", at least in a perfect world. The Canon Pancake does deliver good images though.

Colin, very nice. It surprises me that you didn't notice an improvement with the Soligor, the colors should be move "vivid", at least in a perfect world. The Canon Pancake does deliver good images though.

Stefano if you just want one lens, that is automatic & does UVA through to IR, then this is the one for your Canon, & with extension tubes you get macro as well.

Yes, the Canon Pancake is a nice lens to have, one day I may buy one. I never used autofocus with my camera, and one disadvatage with vintage lenses is that the camera can't record the aperture, so all my images are labelled "f/0". But by using vintage lenses you gain reach (usually). You can't have everything together unless you spend a lot of money.

Here is the Sunflower with the Igoriginal refurbished Soligor III 35mm f3.5, with the Baader UV filter, I like this lens as the focus ring is at the front of the lens & the Aperture ring is at the back, I find this much more ergonomically comfortable to use.

post-31-0-05149000-1620362281.jpg

dabateman

Great images.

Do you know your igoriginal 35mm is a Soligor by removing the filter ring or is that a guess. I can't remove my 46mm to 52mm step up ring on the igoriginal, so don't know what its indicated as. But doesn't matter its a good lens that I don't use often enough.

So it the Canon 40mm STM glued to your uv capable camera like mine? I think that is my favorite UV lens for running around with.

I can only guess from pictures on-line that mine is a Soligor, but it has the focus ring in front & the aperture ring at the rear, as Iggy removes the brand rings from the front, so probably yours has no brand ring either under the step ring.

As you can see this one of mine is pretty clean optically.

Yes the Canon 40mm pancake is difficult to find a reason to take it off the camera, it just does everything I want. I just can't get over how wide a 40mm lens is on a full frame camera, fantastic for landscapes in IR. It can go close as 1ft to a subject in UVA. I have electric contact tubes for macro & the reverse lens kit with electric contacts for even closer.

Matched with the Sigma fp it is a dream machine.

I am still surprised by the colors. Andy can see a noticeable difference between the Noflexar (1 % at 321 nm) and the Kuribayashi (1 % at like 305 nm?), but you see little difference between the Canon Pancake (1 % at 347 nm) and a "Soligor" (1 % at 310 nm), data from Ulf's measurements. Maybe your camera is almost insensitive below 340 nm? This is just a technical discussion, as long as your images look good and you like them it's fine.

Yes I don't know how low the cameras response is, except I got to see light with my sparticle at the lowest filter at 340nm, & the others, 350, 370 & 380 were not over-exposed.

post-31-0-51221700-1620395314.jpg

I remember this image, and your camera seems to have a good response. It is still quite sensitive at 340 nm, so unless the sensitivity plummets it should go down to at least 320 nm, probably 300. Sunlight doesn't go below 300 anyway, and so do lenses, the very best reach the high 300s, like the Focotar-2 or Kuribayashi. There are other factors involved for sure, but your palette should have greener yellows and more magenta lavenders with a deeper reach. I must say your yellows are already very green, mine aren't as green.
Thanks Stefano, I should re-do this now that I am a bit more friendly with the camera & this isn't CWB properly either I guess.
dabateman
I actually got an image with a 313bp filter and my copy of the igoriginal 35mm. So that might work for you if you don't have a fused silica lens or element to test with.
Andy Perrin

I am still surprised by the colors. Andy can see a noticeable difference between the Noflexar (1 % at 321 nm) and the Kuribayashi (1 % at like 305 nm?), but you see little difference between the Canon Pancake (1 % at 347 nm) and a "Soligor" (1 % at 310 nm), data from Ulf's measurements. Maybe your camera is almost insensitive below 340 nm? This is just a technical discussion, as long as your images look good and you like them it's fine.

This is misleading, Stefano. If I re-white balance my Kuri and Noflexar between photos then they will look very similar. You only see the difference if you keep white balance constant.

True, but I think you would see a change in the overall palette. With a deeper reach you should have a wider palette and the yellows and lavenders should look a bit different. You have another set of colors with a different bandpass. This is almost unnoticeable if the difference is small, but between 347 and 310 nm the difference should be more visible, at least I think.

It can very well be that I expect more than I should.

Andy Perrin
Stefano, the sensitivity curve of the sensor and the UV in sunlight are both going down together. I think you are still expecting too much from the extra bandpass.

Another mug shot of the Sunflower with the Noflexar 35mm lens with a Baader UVA filter CWB.

post-31-0-55046100-1620530303.jpg

Sunflower with the Kuri M42 mount 135mm lens with a Baader UVA filter CWB.

This poor lens is old & I think it was built for Fred Flintstone.

post-31-0-25152400-1620537525.jpg

Andy Perrin
Interesting lineup. That sunflower is looking worn out from all its modeling duties.

Interesting lineup. That sunflower is looking worn out from all its modeling duties.

There are two more in the vase, I bought them a week ago, this one has spent too much time in the sun... :sad:

The Sunflower got its second wind overnight.

Two more shots today...

First Sunflower with Steinheil Munchen Cassar S 50mm with Baader UV CWB.

Second Sunflower with a surprise from a surprise lens, O D Industries 50mm enlarger lens of recent make, with Baader UV CWB.

post-31-0-26609700-1620613774.jpg

post-31-0-37306500-1620613806.jpg

Lots of good photos there, Col.

I like the greenish tint from the Sigma. It's very pretty.

Nice to see the OD D.O. Industries enlarger is still available cheap. Years ago there was a lot of use of this little gem for UV, but then I didin't hear much about it for a long time.