UltravioletPhotography

Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm 1:4.5 in auction ending soon

When a Japanese seller declares "item in bad condition" I'll leave immediately ....

I agree, but when I found the auction the price was very low and worth taking a risk.

It ended ¥ 300.030.

The few pictures looked OK and the motivation to item in bad condition was:

"The focus ring and aperture spring moved.

No other confirmation has been made.

Please treat it as junk and make a no claim no return."

Sometimes selles have no idea what they sell.

An old unknown manual 85/4.5 lens is not that impressive.

The same type of lens was sold for ¥ 81 001 a few years ago.

Well, that price (Yen 300,030) is NOK 23.000 something. Not exactly cheap for an item declared to be "junk".
Andy Perrin
What on earth makes that lens worth so much money as junk? It’s saying the price is in the same realm as a good quality modern WORKING lens like one of the Sony GM series? Is it value as an antique or what?

I do not think it was junk, just difficult to verify full function for the seller as the mount is an old obsolete one and the seller did not know the full value for a good lens like that.

It is the famous Takumar that goes deep down into UV, just as the UV-Nikkor 105mm.

It is rather rare too, produced in around 1000 items.

I think the buyer knew that and was prepared to take a risk.

If there were some mechanical problem it could be serviced.

Starting bid was ¥ 1.00 !!!

dabateman

This lens is of the type to fairly easily fix or get serviced. The elements are also very scratch resistant, so risk is low.

Modern lenses with basic computer chips will not function and fungus is harder to clean. So a modern lens would be junk more easily than a lens like this.

Only tricky part might be to find parts. I don't know how similar it was to the other Pentax 85mm at the time. The Nikom 105mm UV for comparison should be easy to find parts for as it was designed similarly to other Nikon lenses.

UAT_notes.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
More than doubled its value over 1-2 weeks? Interesting aspect for collectors and resellers obviously. For other mere mortals, stay away.