UltravioletPhotography

GRB3 plus Lee 115 or Rosco 729 filters

GRB3 plus Lee 115 or Rosco 729 filters

Tests on the full spectrum Sigma fp with the Canon 40mm pancake lens, CWB in camera, with GRB3 plus Lee 115 or Rosco 729 filters, no other processing.

I am amazed at the versatility of the Canon 40mm pancake lens.

Never having used a film 35mm camera & only ASP sensor digital cameras over the last 18 years, I can't get over how wide the 40mm lens is.

Time for some photos....

1/ GRB3 filter only, CWB in camera, UVA + Visible, with some IR leak.

post-31-0-61047000-1619692122.jpg

2/ GRB3 + Rosco 729 filters, CWB in camera, half widths 460nm to 525nm.

post-31-0-13556500-1619692427.jpg

3/ GRB3 + Lee 115 filters, CWB in camera, half widths 400 to 555 nm + IR leak.

post-31-0-55002800-1619692622.jpg

4/ Rosco 729 filter only, CWB in camera, half widths 460 to 525nm, minus red, IR above 775nm.

post-31-0-66730600-1619692824.jpg

5/ Lee 115 filter only, CWB in camera, half widths 400 to 560nm, IR leak above 730nm.

post-31-0-03168300-1619693141.jpg

The effect of a inefficient hot mirror is quite amazing. Love the color variation with Lee 115. There are other interesting styles out there. Try the more obscure tones like Urban Sodium or CTO for pale blue, mint or acid green vegetation... Lee swatch book is like a Swiss Army knife for IR fans

Lee & Rosco swatch books are not able to be got in Australia, it seems ?

I have placed reasonable significant orders & aske for swatch books, but they are silent when I have asked.

I have asked US suppliers for swatch books but they won't send outside USA.

I have some older books I got years ago, but they are only 1-1/2 inches wide.

Rosco I prefer as Lee are not colour fast.

• 2 months later...

I like the Lee 115 with your GRB3. It has red in the potted plants and orange in the trees.

The typically Lee swatch book is only 38mm x90mm so not large. They don't usually give out the 75mm x 75mm ones anymore. As too many people were asking for five or so free and then never ordering an other filter. Also why they stopped including the polarizer filter and another I can't remember now.

Thanks for posting Colin As you probably recall I posted about this stack as well (https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3939-lee-729-vs-lee-115/page__hl__%2Blee+%2B115__fromsearch__1) May I ask which camera you're using?

Thanks Nisei

I have converted a Sigma fp, full frame, mirrorless camera, 20 megapixels.

It is rather easy to convert & Kolarivision has a tutorial......

https://kolarivision.com/the-sigma-fp-disassembly-and-teardown/

I like the Lee 115 with your GRB3. It has red in the potted plants and orange in the trees. The typically Lee swatch book is only 38mm x90mm so not large. They don't usually give out the 75mm x 75mm ones anymore. As too many people were asking for five or so free and then never ordering an other filter. Also why they stopped including the polarizer filter and another I can't remember now.

Dave, Amazon has a few different ones for sale including 3" x 6" & 12" x 12" swatch books.....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rosco+swatchbook&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

That last one has the **perfect** pink color for palm trees. I must get a Lee 115 and try it out on some of the cholla cactus here. (Somewhere I have stored Lee filter holders not yet unpacked!)

Thanks Nisei

I have converted a Sigma fp, full frame, mirrorless camera, 20 megapixels.

It is rather easy to convert & Kolarivision has a tutorial......

https://kolarivision...y-and-teardown/

Thanks Colin (I probably missed that in the first post...)

It looks like your Sigma sensor is rendering exactly the same as my Sony.

115 + 2mm GRB3 (or KG3) offers the most tonal variation I've ever seen. Most plants come out orange but there's deep reds as well.

I always use a grey card for WB and this gives very consistent results.

Thanks Nisei

Yes the Sigma fp has the same sensor.

I always take a Custom White Balance first, I am finding best results with a teflon / PTFE 0.2mm film in front of the lens is more consistant.