UltravioletPhotography

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae [New England Aster]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2021) Symphyotrichum novae-angliae (L.) G.L.Nesom (Asteraceae) New England Aster. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. https://www.ultravio...-england-aster/

Huber Woods Park, Middletown, New Jersey, USA

20 Sept 2013

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Aster altissimus Moench
  • Aster concinnus Colla
  • Aster novae-angliae L.
  • Aster novae-angliae f. geneseensis House
  • Aster novae-angliae var. monocephalus Farw.
  • Aster novae-angliae f. rosarius House
  • Aster novae-angliae f. roseus (Desf.) Britton
  • Aster novae-angliae f. spurius (Willd.) Voss
  • Aster roseus Desf.
  • Aster spurius Willd.
  • Lasallea novae-angliae (L.) Semple & Brouillet
  • Virgulus novae-angliae (L.) Reveal & Keener

Other Common Names:

• Michaelmas Daisy
  • New England American-Aster

Comment:

In an otherwise undistinguished UV photograph, I did manage to catch a little green and striped sweat bee visiting this fall flower. Like most fall asters, S. novae-angliae is moderately UV absorbing with brighter bits in the UV-black central disk. The iridescent green back of the sweat bee came through with a bit of dark false yellow in the UV photograph.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (acc 17 April 2021) Symphyotrichum novae-angliae. New England American-Aster. https://gobotany.nat.../novae-angliae/

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar on Helicoid]

Visible Light [f8 for 1/160" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

Such a beautiful little bee!

symphyotrichumNovaeangliae_vis_sun_20130920huberWoodsPkMtNJ_15393pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/4 for 1/20" @ ISO-1600 in Sunlight with BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

I feel lucky to have captured this bee in late afternoon, autumn, low-UV light given that I was not using a UV flash. Note that there are some false yellow tones on the bees back.

symphyotrichumNovaeangliae_uvBaader_sun_20130920huberWoodsPkMtNJ_15357pn201.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/4" @ ISO-1600 in Sunlight with BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

symphyotrichumNovaeangliae_uvBaader_sun_20130920huberWoodsPkMtNJ_15420.jpg

Andy Perrin
What was it doing slumming in Jersey?! You would think a New England Aster would be found somewhere more classy.

They don’t call it the Garden State for nothin’...... :lol:

Interestingly, I just read tonight on one of the botanical sites, that there are populations of New England Asters also in the west.

Geez, those are truly awful photos compared to some of the others I've made over time. Well, so it goes. When I get the chance, I will try again. Also I should search my storage because I have quite a lot of flowers I've never worked up and posted here.