UltravioletPhotography

Lets just get rid of the Bayer dyes and use color splitting!

dabateman

This paper is really interesting:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589004221002364

He was able to 3D print and show basically double the color response. Also the current structure allows for UV. But I see others optimizing this to have less overlap and tighter visible detection. This could be a great way to increase response of small cell phone sensors.

Update,

Just read to the end. Major caveat! All this work was computationally calculated and not yet actually printed on to a sensor. So real life will no doubt be different. I was hoping and thought the color images were real but only simulated. So still remains to be seen what this structure when actually 3D printed on a naked CMOS will do. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong and the models will fit the reality. But as Andy knows I don't believe many of the models as they usually are completely wrong. Only NMR models nearly perfectly, as all the math is known with very few assumptions.

So microlenses might be needed or transparency wasn't correctly modeled and may not work at all. Size at this scale matters significantly.

If this becomes the preferred technology, a lot of what converted cameras do today may no longer be possible. For example, R72 color or false-color UV depend on out-of-band transmission characteristics of the filter dyes. That may no longer be there.
It would also open up new possibilities. There are already sensors with alternative CFAs, different from the standard Bayer filter (RGB), here there are some. Those sensors should produce different false colors than the ones we are used to. I wonder if anyone ever tested such a sensor in UV/IR.

It would also open up new possibilities. There are already sensors with alternative CFAs, different from the standard Bayer filter (RGB), here there are some. Those sensors should produce different false colors than the ones we are used to. I wonder if anyone ever tested such a sensor in UV/IR.

This is a partial answer to your question:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3516-stock-lodestar-x2-color-is-very-uv-sensitive/page__hl__lodestar__fromsearch__1

The Lodestar has a ycmg color filter array, which is the most sensitive to UV.

The colors are all over the place.

I also have, but not working a Panasonic camcorder, which used a prism to separate the colors to 3 separate ccd sensors to detect color. The 3ccd models. It was very clean and had outstanding images.

I can see as 3d printing gets better this may be a really good alternative to eliminate the filters.

Just use a mono camera with a stationary subject & place as many different narrow band filters as you like, from 300 - 1100nm...

I’m trying Colin! I have to work and stuff too, can’t be all photos all the time.

Work....that is a dirty four letter work.... :wink: