UltravioletPhotography

an orchid

Shot with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 at f/16, ZB2 filter, subject illuminated with a 365nm LED flashlight.

I bet you probably get a lot of those but I took this today and thought I'd share. Cheers.

post-350-0-48487300-1618015552.jpg

The Moth Orchid, Phalaenopsis. As it is widely cultivated, onre never can be certain how the actual specimen turns out in UV. This plant shows more pattern under UV than usual.

The Moth Orchid, Phalaenopsis. As it is widely cultivated, onre never can be certain how the actual specimen turns out in UV. This plant shows more pattern under UV than usual.

The Zb2 filter is like a BG3 filter, so there will be some violet coming in if the 365nm leaks into visible.

But doesn't matter. The image looks great.

A good UV photo & subject, nice & sharp too.

Thank you, stopping down far sure does wonders for the image quality sometimes. I actually really love how there's less diffraction with UV, makes things much easier.

Interesting, thanks. Here's a normal color photo of the same bloom for comparison.

post-350-0-44512900-1618053706.jpg

The Zb2 filter is like a BG3 filter, so there will be some violet coming in if the 365nm leaks into visible.

But doesn't matter. The image looks great.

Thank you, yes the flashlight I use creates a lot of visible light, surprisingly yellowish actually. But honestly I wouldn't consider the fact that the ZB2 leaks blue and violet to be a downside. The fact that it leaks IR is a bigger issue for me :grin:

You shouldn’t get much IR from an LED. That would mostly be a problem in sunlight.

I know that. That's the reason why I use the flashlight instead of the sun.

Andy Perrin
Ok, maybe I'm not following the convo. I thought you were saying that the IR leak was a bigger issue for you in this photo.

Some ZBW2 filters are known to leak visible light beyond violet/blue but we have no particular way to determine that for Fandyus photo without some other examples of Moth Orchids in UV.

Added later:

Woo, did I ever misread that filter designation! Saw the Z and the B and the 2 and made the leap to a W. Sorry!

Yes, I “read” a W where there wasn’t one. :rolleyes: I went back and crossed out my previous remark.

FWIW, I checked my photos of a Moth Orchid and saw that its spots show in both visible and 365nm UV-Led light.

I like Fandyus’s version above. I’ve never made flower photos with my BG3 but it looks interesting.

Yes, I “read” a W where there wasn’t one. :rolleyes: I went back and crossed out my previous remark.

FWIW, I checked my photos of a Moth Orchid and saw that its spots show in both visible and 365nm UV-Led light.

I like Fandyus’s version above. I’ve never made flower photos with my BG3 but it looks interesting.

Thank you! Sorry for not responding earlier.

Ok, maybe I'm not following the convo. I thought you were saying that the IR leak was a bigger issue for you in this photo.

It isn't an issue if LEDs are used for illumination. I'm just saying it's a shame since the only time I can take images is at night in controlled environment, can't go around taking pictures of flowers in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...