UltravioletPhotography

Fixing a filter to the lens

nurWolfgang

nurWolfgang

Hello 

I got myself a Baader Filter I had to by 2 adapter to get the filter to fit to any lens 
I needed also bunch of extra step up and step don ring to get the filter to fit on other lenses want to test with the result that I got vignetting.

By coincident I have been joining a Kick starter projekt from H&Y with variable filter mount.

Using the smallest of the mounts resolve most of my issues

https://www.hyfilters.co/revoring/

I have preset /screwed the Bader filter in a 52-49mm step down ring see pictures and made that assembly into the variable adapter, now I can very easily change from one lens to another to compare usability of the lenses for IR. see pictures

the total mount is now smaller and I do not have vignetting.

This little report may help others with mount problems

regards

Wolfgang

PS. the system do not take picturs made by an Ipad I had to change to Jpeg

post-331-0-62393700-1617994568.jpg

your web link doesn't work.

The full link is www.hyfilters.co[slash]shop[slash]circular-filters[slash]revoring-variable-adapter[sash] - had to replace the / with [slash] to prevent it getting screwed up in the post.

PS - it really is .co and not .com. - I don't know what .co is, the company is based in Hong Kong.

I hope the mechanism for changing size do not have light leaks.

That is very important for UV-pass filtering as any light that bypasses the filter might cause problems.

The filter mount must be really light tight.

One good way to test for light leakage is to light paint the suspected parts from different angles with a laser-pointer and observe the result on the live view screen with a high ISO setting.

That is my way of searching for such problems.

This is not a problem for any normal VIS filtering.

Are you using the original astronomical mount? Unless you have a telescope and intend on using the filter in this manner, it is easier just to buy some old junk 49mm filter, discard the glass, and mount the Baader disk in the resulting ring. Much easier for terrestrial photography.

PS - it really is .co and not .com. - I don't know what .co is, the company is based in Hong Kong.

Colombia.

.COM started out as USA-only domain, so many countries used comething like ".co.uk", ".co.at", etc. Usually I'd think "scam", if I saw a domain with .co instead of .com, you know, or amazno.de instead of amazon.de, registering the usual typos in order to catch the incautious ones.

I was aware of .co.uk, etc., but not just .co . According to the bible of Wikipedia, .co is the domain for Colombia - "As of June 2011, more than 1 million .CO domains had been registered by people in over 200 countries and territories worldwide."
nurWolfgang

Hello

the link should work now

I can not upload pictures I get an error massage all the time

the vingnetting I get on the Carl Zeiss Jena 50 mm 2,8

on the Steinheim Auto..25 mm 2,8

a Minolta Rokkor 45 mm f2...it is not the filter it is the summ of the step up rings

I do not have a Teleskope but lots of lenses I would like to try for UV and most of them have different diameter

thanks for the rapiers if someone can tell my how to upload pictures I will add some

best regards

Wolfgang

I try to test my old lenses in the moment, still new in UV

best regardspost-331-0-93307200-1617994874.jpg