UltravioletPhotography

some dried flowers

Yesterday night I took some UV macro photos of dried flowers my mother owns for decorative purposes. I used a 365nm eBay flashlight as my source of illumination, I also used a deep blue filter to make sure visible light emitted by the diode doesn't pollute my results.

Here goes. I unfortunately don't know the species.

post-350-0-40183500-1617893215.jpg

post-350-0-02563400-1617893226.jpg

post-350-0-63223300-1617893240.jpg

post-350-0-44276500-1617893248.jpg

Andy Perrin
They are quite pretty. We have tons of botanical knowledge around here. Someone will probably have a guess at the genus shortly.

They are quite pretty. We have tons of botanical knowledge around here. Someone will probably have a guess at the genus shortly.

Thanks, that's good to know. I might ask my mother what plants those are when she comes home if you guys don't figure it out earlier :)

The family obviously is Asteraceae 'Daisy Family'. Unfortunately it is also the largest of all plant families with 20-30 000 recognised species. So one would need more information to narrow the choices.

The family obviously is Asteraceae 'Daisy Family'. Unfortunately it is also the largest of all plant families with 20-30 000 recognised species. So one would need more information to narrow the choices.

Interesting, good to know, thanks.

Fandyus, nfoto is a botanist.

I realize that, I did not mean to come off as disrespectful, it's just that my mother has probably dried those herself and she might remember exactly what they are. Dunno tho, forgot to ask, I'll do it eventually and post it here if she does remember.

Here's a UVIVF shot of the flowers in the meanwhile. Until I remember to ask.

post-350-0-01334900-1617918885.jpg

These are nice and different from what I have.

I was so excited to see my wild flowers all coming up. With dandelions. I have been blowing dandelion seeds in my yard for years and now I finally have them. No need to go to the local school anymore.

The last image shows a poppy Papaver and likely a tansy Tanacetum vulgare, in addition to the "unknown" first shown. The latter might be a Ligularia or something else in that subfamily of hte Asteraceae.

The last image shows a poppy Papaver and likely a tansy Tanacetum vulgare, in addition to the "unknown" first shown. The latter might be a Ligularia or something else in that subfamily of hte Asteraceae.

Good to know. I finally asked my mom what those flowers were because I assume she did dry them herself, she said that the purple flowers are normal levander and the other little yellow flowers are genus Solidago. I don't want to make this seem like I'm lecturing you by the way, just repeating what my mom said. Cheers.

No problem Seems I got the families right. Guessing flower identities requires sufficiently detailled photos do oftentiems csan be quite tricky.