UltravioletPhotography

Best off the shelf cameras for UV photography?

dabateman

Bernard's A7r thread went south basically turning into this discussion. But for the 100 of new UV photography members whom joined over the last 2 years but never post I thought I would post my thoughts and see if others have better ideas. Which is most likely possible.

Best off the self cheap UV reflectance monochrome camera:

1. I would give the award to the Sigma SDQ. Has live view. Pop off the dust blocker and the blue channel sees all of but only UVA in high resolution as this layer has the most pixels.

2. Would be a Leica monochrome camera. Expensive, but Andrea has posted some nice images.

Problem for both is a good lens for these mounts.

Best off the shelf color reflectance camera:

1. Would be an Olympus camera as seems to have weakest UV blocking filter. The Em5mk2 is very good. Conversion to full spectrum only gives you 1 extra stop of UVA light with a Baader venus u filter in the sun.

Do we know any other modern camera with live view that has a weak UV blocking filter and doesn't need conversion?

Best UV induced visible fluorescence camera:

Seems to be the Nikon DSLR have the most UV blocking and would help to isolated just the fluorescence as seen here:

https://kolarivision...veness-article/

Best camera for UV induced infrared fluorescence:

Again a Sigma SDQ would win here with the dust filter popped out. The Sigma Foveon sensors seem to be extremely sensitive to detecting IR. But this will be monochromatic in mostly the red channel.

What's involved in "Pop off the dust blocker"? Is that an easy task that Joe Public can do? [if you mean IR blocker, then my questions is answered at https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lounge/extend-your-creativity-with-the-sigma-sd-quattro-by-tim-shoebridge/ - it's easy!]

Can you clarify what uyou mean by "the blue channel sees all of but only UVA in high resolution as this layer has the most pixels"? Is there something missing after "all of"?

The SD Quattro does look interesting - I guess the lens availability can be solved by using a mount adapter.

Bernard its kind of summarized here:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3030-sigma-test-sd14-sdq-sensitivity-and-range/page__hl__%2Bsigma+%2Bsdq__fromsearch__1

I rented a SDQ and could see with the 335bp10 filter, but not my 313bp25 filter. Thus it can see all of UVA above 335nm, but not UVB.

Thus I said above only for UVA monochrome, as all the uv is just detected in the top blue layer.

Yes the dust blocker, which is the UV/IR blocking filter is easily removed.

Olympus camera ... seems to have weakest UV blocking filter.

Do we have any proof of this or any examples to link to??