UltravioletPhotography

Sore Arm, Slow Response to UVP Tasks

Andrea B.

This time I got the *very* sore arm from yesterday's 2nd Moderna vaccine. I can't lift clean dishes into the cabinet or vacuum floors, ha-ha-ha. (Too bad for you, House, you will just have to wait your turn for a few days!!)

But I also cannot stay on the keyboard much. This will only last a couple of days according to what I read along with mild fever bumps. No complaints though. This is what is known as a Better Class of Problem.

Hope everyone gets their turn very soon.

Best -

Andrea B.

First round with Pfizer done here. I got really sick and experienced a lot of (known) side effects. However, escaped without a sore arm -- for now.

'Moderna' sounds so Swedish (literally = 'modern').

We have polled friends and family about their response to the vaccines. The responses are across the board with nothing standing out in particular. One friend was in bed for a day with Pfizer-2 feeling like they had the flu. The SigOth got nothing at all from Pfizer-2 while another friend had the sore arm on Pfizer-2. My cousin was in bed for 24 hours with Moderna-2 (again like flu feeling) but I only got a sore arm with Moderna-2. I had an unusually long low grade fever with Moderna-1 which nobody else seemed to get on M-1.

Given that every person has their own quirks and oddities of the immune system, I suppose anything goes!

yep, I am aware of the small sample size in my Side Effects Poll. We think it’s about size 22. :rolleyes: :lol: :devil:
I got second round of Pfizer today. :smile: Approach by bike though heavy snow that took twice as much time for the 18km roundtrip as for the first shot, both times carrying 3 weeks worth of groceries on my way back (I want one of those fat tire bikes!), but what will one not do to get vaccinated! I will not complain if some muscles are sore tomorrow :grin: - so far just a little at the injection site (will probably get a little worse tomorrow if first shot is a clue).
Bill De Jager
My U.S. state has not had adequate vaccine supplies. I have to wait until the 28th for my first shot. I could drive 4 hours (and 4 hours back afterwards) to a part of the state where there are many COVID deniers and there is a vaccine oversupply but that doesn't seem like a good idea, especially since I'd need to do it again for the second shot. My wife was able to get her first shot because she qualified for early vaccination. Her first Moderna shot had minimal effects other than a sore upper arm.

I have to cringe when I read phrases like "Covid deniers" !!! What can I say except that the world is full of all kinds of people some of whom are more logical than others.

Bill, you must be back in California? Because if you were still on the East coast, a 4 hour drive would have put you in New York City I think. La!! Anyway, I want to urge you to consider that long drive because it is so important to get vaccinated so we can get this pandemic under control (insofar as that is possible). The first shot will provide about 80% immunity even if you can't get the 2nd one. Better than nothing, for sure!! Biden has just opened up the rules so your eligibility might have changed already and you can get the vacc locally.

Hoping for everyone to be able to get the vaccine soon.

I was just reading about the EU (half a billion Euros now one billion Euros, 08 Apr 2021) and the US (4 billion dollars) donating to Covax so that poorer countries can get supplies of Covid vaccines. The US is also participating with India & Australia to get vaccines to poorer Asian countries. And I'm sure there are other such efforts which I've not read about. It is so good to see that there can still sometimes be world-wide cooperation.

Bill De Jager

Andrea, we never moved to Maryland. We weren't ready yet and then the pandemic hit. For several reasons we've decided to stay in California unless we get burned out in the coming summer of fire. The drought here is really bad, but then that's also true in your state.

We do plan to move to a different location within California that's less vulnerable to fire. That means moving out of the hills and into more of a developed valley setting. This will be a step down in terms of daily environment but a big step up in terms of peace of mind.

As of today I have only 21 days until my first dose. My wife gets her second shot in 22 days. We are good hermits and get our groceries and other supplies via delivery. It will really be nice to have more freedom of action and travel once we're fully vaccinated. I plan on taking a trip to the Sierra Nevada which will allow me to use my new D850 in the field finally. Of course I'll bring IR and UV gear along.

I was just reading about the EU (half a billion Euros) and the US (4 billion dollars) donating to Covax so that poorer countries can get supplies of Covid vaccines. The US is also participating with India & Australia to get vaccines to poorer Asian countries. And I'm sure there are other such efforts which I've not read about. It is so good to see that there can still sometimes be world-wide cooperation.

There is a typo abut the EU contribution and 1/2 million.

Lately it has been doubled to one billion Euro:

https://ec.europa.eu...il/en/IP_21_690

This is the short scale billion.

https://simple.wikip...0and%20so%20on.

Bill De Jager
I'm jazzed! My HMO just got access to more vaccine so I was able to move my appointment up to April 19, only 10 days from today. That means that I should be fully vaccinated by no later than May 31 depending on the vaccine they give me.
  • 2 weeks later...
Bill De Jager

I got the shot yesterday morning. My arm got really sore later in the day and I ended the day feeling like I had a definite illness. My the early morning hours I felt much better, both my arm and the rest of my body.

I'm waiting for more dandelions to bloom in the back yard so I can try my hand at color UV on a subject with well-known UV behavior. So far I've had only one flower this year.

I got my second Pfizer yesterday.

I have malaise today.

I ache all over like I had been shoveling rocks all day yesterday.

My morning temperature is typically 97.7F, but today it was 99.0F.

I take this as a good sign, showing that the vaccine is doing its stuff.

Bill and SteveE, as I understand it, those side effects are normal and show that the body is responding. However, i have also read that something like 1 in 5 people do not experience any side effects at all !! Interesting......