•  

First steps in MWIR!

Camera Infrared Lighting MWIR Video
44 replies to this topic

#41 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 20:18

It's okay, we can leave it, but I do think we'll all be happier if we don't spend time correcting other people's grammatical errors or telling each other to tag things. Factual errors are a different story.

#42 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 00:11

So do you have those flowers in the oven yet for some dinner time photos?

You can actually buy an electric 500 C oven to cook your pizzas in 90 seconds. Crazy times but might be fun for other imaging. If you buy a cast iron pan, you can image melting metals.

#43 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:00

I had the idea of seeing molten metal hot enough (>~300 °C) to glow in the NIR region but too cold (<~525 °C, the Draper point) to be red-hot to the naked eye. There are several metals which would work. I don't know if I will ever try, but I certainly won't melt lead again. Tin is better.

#44 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:04

You only need a 660 C to melt Aluminum foil. Best to do so in cast iron, as it can handle twice as much heat.
You can burn some magnesium if your pizza oven doesn't go up there. Road flares get quite hot and melt some metals.

#45 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 14:28

Hah. Guys, I’m not planning on burning flowers or melting anything. Honestly there would not be anything new to see from that whicht can’t be done in LWIR closer to room temperature. Water glows just fine in LWIR for example, so why melt metals? It wouldn’t look any different. Black body radiation is all the same, regardless of where the peak emission is.

No, I’m interested in MWIR reflectography and that will be the focus, because that’s where we will see differences from other areas of the spectrum.

What I need now is time, honestly. I’m way too busy with work to play with cameras.