UltravioletPhotography

Flowers with Modified EDIXA Steinheil

I found some back yard flowers. The roses are starting to open, with some others I don't know.

I modified my igoriginal 35mm with a SvBony 0.5x focal reducer. The lens is T-mount fitted to a 12-19mm helicoid and a dual M42/C-Mount to micro four thirds adapter. In the C-mount space I have the SvBony 0.5x focal length reducer. Its mounted in a 25mm filter holder with the concave side of this positive meniscus lens facing the sensor.

I did the exact same modification to the Steinheil EDIXA 50mm f2.8 lens. This modification gives me 2 stops more light and widens the field of view. The igoriginal changes from a 35mm f3.5 to a 23mm f1.8. The Steinheil I didn't calibrate, but I haven't fixed the aperture so locked at F2.8, but was acting two stops faster.

Fun images with 50mm modified Steinheil EDIXA and Baader venus U:

post-188-0-06283300-1616270449.jpg

post-188-0-56456600-1616270459.jpg

post-188-0-34941500-1616270469.jpg

post-188-0-58603700-1616270478.jpg

Images with modified igorigial and Baader venus U:

post-188-0-05101500-1616270490.jpg

post-188-0-97490600-1616270498.jpg

Thanks Stefano. I actually like my UV a little golden. But did shoot these a little off to test out photo ninja.

These are just resized straight from jpeg in Infraviewer. It actually looks to kill some of the details. I was surprised how sharp these where. My Steinheil is usually like butter or vaseline. But with the SvBony positive meniscus lens, it sharpened right up. These are at the lenses worst wide open. With the focal reducer its acting like an f1.4 lens. I blew out the images at ISO 100 1/8000 shutter speed in the sunlight. Update UV maximum shutter speed was 1/30 seconds with Baader venus u. The roses are mix of flash no flash on the dark side of the house. The fourth Steinheil shot I am standing in front of the sun. Thus the crazy background as some sun is blowing it.

Now I will have to fix the aperture on this lens again to see what f5.6 and f8 settings look like. This may actually be a very useful lens now. The SvBony focal reducer can see above 300nm, so no problem on the UV transmission.

Oh I miss the Andromeda and Cardamine. Happy to see those. I had both those in my yard in New Jersey in spring.

Nice to see some results from using the SvBony. Where do you get that anyway?

Andromeda == Pieris japonica, photo #4.

Those don't look quite like roses. Could they be Camelias?

Added Later: BTW, Andromeda is quite toxic.

Its very possible they are not roses. I have know idea.

They act weird as well. The house we rent came with them. There are three bushes. A red one, a white one and mixed. After a year or so the middle white one became mixed white red. But this year looks to be white so far with buds. Also the red one used to be dark red, but now has some white streaks in the flowers. The flowers here are all from the red bush, which used to look black in uv a couple years ago. That why I thought them to be roses, as I usually see reddish roses as black in UV.

That Andromeda looked like that solid all year this last year.

This is the SvBony focal reducer still on sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-SVBONY-1-25-Telescope-Eyepieces-0-5X-Focal-Reducer-Lense-For-Astronomy-/192850178452?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

But this is the seller I bought from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SVBONY-1-25-Telescope-0-5-Focal-Reducer-Threads-M28-5x0-6-for-31-75mm-Eyepieces-/362459238624?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

That's interesting, David. I've not looked at this type of lens before. A few things I don't understand, though.

I don't understand your description of how you fitted this, how all the parts you mentioned fit together. But would this work only for micro four thirds? Would it work with APS-C?

You talk about 1/8000 at ISO 100, which sounds amazing for UV - is that just for the flash shots?

Weird that your Steinheil lens is improved. Perhaps it has a fault which the SvBony is putting right. I can't understand how you get better image quality when you're capturing more of the off-axis image. But I guess with MFT you're only using the central part of the image the lens is producing.

A couple of days ago I experimented with an old wide-angle adapter I had - the type that screws into the filter mount in front of the lens. It was only a 0.7x type, but even that would have been useful. Although UV transmission wasn't too bad (but with definite drop-off at 320nm) the image quality away from the centre was very poor.

Bernard,

A focal reducer can improve image quality as Metabones adapters have proven. But I have been playing with building my own lenses. I took apart the SvBony reducer and when saw that it was a positive meniscus single element got a little excited as these are perfect for spherical and other type of aberration correction.

What I have done is removed the SvBony element from the 1.25" frame. Flipped it over so the concave side faces the sensor. Since its about 21mm to 22mm in diameter, it fits in a 25mm or 25.5 mm filter frame. I then screwed that new lens into the C-mount of my dual slim M42/ C-mount adapter to micro four thirds.

For a Sony camera you would need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-C-NEX-Fo-M42-C-Mount-Movie-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-E-Mount-Adapter-Dual-Purpose-A7s-/282595837363?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

For Fuji camera this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-C-Mount-CCTV-Lens-to-Fujifilm-FX-X-XF-Mount-Adapter-Dual-Purpose-M42-C-FX-/282636404674?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

For m43rds mine is like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Purpose-Adapter-Ring-For-M42-Screw-C-Mount-Len-to-Micro-Four-Thirds-4-3-M43-/282636598574?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I can't seem to find one for Canon M-mount, but do see them oddly enough for Nikon Cx mount. I don't think any of us have converted Nikon 1 cameras.

I typically use this adapter to reverse mount filters, but can use this lens to change and improve other good UV performers. My Nikkor 80mm EL f5.6 turns into a 43mm f2.8 lens also with this modification.

To the M42 part of the dual adapter a 12-19mm helicoid is screwed into attach the igoroginal or Steinheil lens and give infinity focus. The Nikkor EL 80mm f5.6 lenses I used a 17-31mm helicoid. So I can adjust the helicoid and the lens for either macro or infinity focus.

It might work for APSC cameras using a full frame lens. The image circle isn't that different. But clearly wouldn't work on a full frame sensor.

So its camera, dual adapter, (SvBony element in 25.5mm filter frame in the C-mount) helicoid in the M42 part of dual adapter and the finally lens.

Andy Perrin
David, what about Bernard’s question about the 1/8000” at ISO100? I was wondering how that was possible in UV also. Did we read correctly?

All images were handheld, even the 1/8 second one, without flash. The sun was bright and was surprised by that. Thus needed to go to the side of my house without direct sunlight.

Correction the maximum on the sunny side of my house was only 1/30 no flash in direct sunlight at f1.4. I mixed up the IR shots in my head.

The 1/30 ISO 100 f1.4 (as my Steinheil is broken at maximum aperture currently) isn't with flash. My maximum sync is 1/250 shutter. Thus my flash shots are at 1/200 on the safe side, at f1.4 and ISO 100. All with Baader venus u filter.

My maximum 1/30 seconds UV Baader venus u images are kid portraits I will not share. In direct sunlight without my dangerous Canon 199A flash.

The 0.5x focal reducer increases the light by focusing down the large 135 format image circle down to m43rds, so I gain two stops. The great thing is the broad coatings on mine don't block at less than 380nm. The transmission is everything above about 305nm. So they also work great at 313nm UVb with similar 2 stop gain. But not at 300nm. There they are even. No gain in UV light. I have talked about these before maybe a year ago to improve my 39mm fused silica element.

Also here:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3760-svbony-05x-focal-reducer-is-good-for-uv-but-not-magical/page__pid__33851#entry33851

So its camera, dual adapter, (SvBony element in 25.5mm filter frame in the C-mount) helicoid in the M42 part of dual adapter and the finally lens.

Thanks, David. I'm going to give that a try.

Do you have a source for 25mm/25.5mm filter mounts? I haven't found any on ebay. And if there's a choice, which size is better? (I've not dabbled with C-mount before.)

PS: I've ordered the SvBony and Dual M42/C adapter. I was staggered by the price range for the SvBony - £10 to £63 for the same thing. Guess which I went for!

Bernard

I haven't purchased these yet to test them but they might work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multiple-size-Outer-Ring-used-for-Camera-Filter-Protecting-Windows-/274561890554?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Contact the seller to see if they have a 25.5mm size ring.

I usually just buy a uv filter in the size I want and remove the glass. But more and more of the cheap UV filters are using a snap spring ring and not a screw in retaining ring. So it has been harder to find rings.

The SvBony element is too small to be held by a 5mm C-mount extension. It just drops through. So don't buy that. It must be either a 25mm or 25.5mm ring to cross thread into the 25.4mm C-mount.