UltravioletPhotography

Neutral Density Filters for Infrared photography

mathieucarbou

mathieucarbou

Hello,

Since 1 year I am reviewing a lof of neutral density filters from Breakthrough, NiSi, B+W, Formatt-Hitech, Haida, Kolari Vision, STC Optics, etc from 3-stop up to 20-stop.

My reviews focus on observations, color neutrality, sharpness and flares. I don't and cannot go deeper than that with the time and resources I have. I am also looking at how filters behave with IR light for infrared photography (when possible) and also what kind of warranty the company provides and its support quality.

Besides sharing my findings with everybody here, which can help other people decide on what to buy, I am also explaining how everybody could test its own filters without the need of expensive gear or software (like Imatest). Filters are usually expensive and sadly, there can be some bad surprises sometimes.

I have also placed some links referencing other interesting (in-depth) reviews I. Mostly my findings are consistent with these reviews, which highlights the fact that if you apply the same recipe at home, you should get quite reliable results.

Most of the existing neutral density filters are manufactured to target visible light, but some can be used for IR light. It all depends on how their transmission curve are made after the visible wavelength, which is obviously often outside of manufacturer's specs and also can vary from filter to filter within the same brand... Kolari Vision is one of the company I am testing that is providing some filters for both visible and IR light, with a supposed flat transmission curve up to 1000nm (usually the sensors limit).

Note: I am a passionate hobby photographer not affiliated to any company and I wasn't paid for any of these review. I did that on my own and found a consistent and mostly reliable way to test the filters I own and plus I was able to get.

Here is the article: https://www.mathieu....Density-Filters

Mathieu.