UltravioletPhotography

Sigma fp Full Spectrum Conversion

colinbm

Sigma fp Full Spectrum Conversion.

Probably my last conversion, maybe my last camera...?

I have converted a new Sigma fp, Bayer full frame mirrorless camera to full spectrum.

I have to say it was probably the easiest camera I have converted.

KolariVision have shown the insides online.

Here is a test with a four filter Sparticle, of the UV capability of the converted Sigma fp camera, with a UVA capable lens .

post-31-0-42686200-1616042138.jpg

Congrats on your fp conversion.

Too bad it didn't have the same removable dust protector, as on other Sigma models.

I'd worry about introducing internal dust in the process, but the kolari teardown makes it look fairly easy.

All the best with your new rig!

Andy Perrin
Cool! Hope it isn't your last camera (unless you mean it's the BEST one ever, unbeatable!). My grandma was photographing into her early 90s, so age is clearly no barrier.

Congrats on your fp conversion.

Too bad it didn't have the same removable dust protector, as on other Sigma models.

I'd worry about introducing internal dust in the process, but the kolari teardown makes it look fairly easy.

All the best with your new rig!

Thanks Gary

Dust wasn't a problem thank goodness, & I used a 365nm torch to find them & kicked them out.... :lol:

There were two pieces of glass to remove. The first you see is a clear glass blocking UVA & the next was the 'Hot Mirror blocking the IR.

Their total thickness was 1.45mm, & I replaced each with 1mm clear fused silica.

Here is the spectrum of both.

post-31-0-23458200-1616118309.png

Cool! Hope it isn't your last camera (unless you mean it's the BEST one ever, unbeatable!). My grandma was photographing into her early 90s, so age is clearly no barrier.

Thanks Andy

I am only nearly 70, but remembering new tricks is getting difficult.

I could jump into a sailing boat & sail blindfolded, but mastering new software or camera menus, it is difficult to remember what you learnt yesterday.... :sad:

If you keep up new tasks than you should have an other 30 years a head of you. My grandfather was still driving in his late 90s. Only just passed at almost 101.

Only odd thing to watch out for at your age now are urine tract infections. That will have a symptom of dementia. But you don't have Alzheimers and most if not all doctors will misdiagnose it as Alzheimers. Tell your family this now. If one day you go from editing in software to acting like having dementia, then you have a urinary tract infection and need an antibiotic. Keep drinking lots of water to keep the pipes working.

Stupid doctors misdiagnose my grandfather 3 times.

Thanks Dave, both my parents didn't get Dementia until their 90s.

But my Mother was very forgetful from her 50s.

I eat smoked salmon every day, which is good for the brain & heart. I have been able to remember better since I started eating smoked salmon a few years ago.

I had a urinary tract infection about two years ago. I always felt well, like I had nothing, but when I went in the bathroom it wasn't pleasant (I will not go into the nasty details here). I only had a slight fever in the beginning.

Good to see your parents/grandparents died old. My great-grandmother died at 92, and her mother (my great-great-grandmother) died at almost 99. My paternal grandparents died at 79 (him) and only 68 (her). My maternal ones are still alive, at 79 and 69.

Wish a long life to everyone!

That's very effective blocking with stock fp glass.

Fused silica was also my choice, for a low-tech mod.

As far as vintage. I'm not far behind you. Spirolina helps to jump start my brain.

Colin, you seldom post images. Is there a reason behind?

I would like to see how they come out. Some purple houses under a yellow sky...

Stefano, I had posted images before, about 5 or 6 years ago.

I struggle to get the IQ I want, but I am hoping to change that, now.

I spend too much time trying to make a better mouse trap, or reinventing the wheel.....

Did you know the person that invented the wheel was an idiot, the genius was the inventor of the four wheels.

Colin, I hope you will be satisfied with your image quality. Apart from some dust I can more or less easily remove, I like my current setup. I should upgrade the filters, but the Soligor is a nice lens and so is the camera.
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 5:38 AM, Doppler9000 said:

Hi Colin,

Could you please post a follow-up on your thoughts about the performance and usability of the fp L?

It is an intriguing design.

I am sorry to being late in replying, I opened this in a new tab & forgot about it, again sorry.
I don't have the Sigma fp-L, only the Sigma fp
Yes I enjoy using the Sigma FP & I have no reservations with it, & as a converted to Full Spectrum camera.
The only caveat it the UVA at about 340nm cut-off.
It is an easy camera to convert & it adapts to most lenses, except micro 4/3  & Sony E-mount.

• 4 weeks later...
Doppler9000
On 2/15/2022 at 8:26 PM, colinbm said:

"Did you happen to test any native lenses that didn’t hotspot?"
Do you mean Sigma L mount lenses ?

Yes.  The 24-105mm Panasonic is on sale, so I may get it any way.