UltravioletPhotography

Euphorbia myrsinites [Myrtle Spurge]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2021) Euphorbia myrsinites L. (Euphorbiaceae) Myrtle Spurge. Flowers photographed in visible, infrared and ultraviolet light. https://www.ultravio...-myrtle-spurge/

La Secuela, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

22 March 2020

Escaped cultivar growing wild

Other Common Names:

• Blue Spurge

Comment:

Spurge flowers are the strangest things. These seem to be almost fractal in the way new ones with bracts open up within the old pair of bracts. You could see this going on to infinity but for the arrival of the first hard frost.

This particular spurge, E. myrsinites, is a non-native escapee which is not welcomed as a wild plant in the western US because it easily becomes invasive. I have to dig out straying clumps of it every spring to keep it from spreading out of control. But I keep a few plants because it is one of the earliest bloomers here in Santa Fe County, and it attracts scads of bees, spring butterflies and other insects at a time when not much else is blooming except for the Skunk Bush (also beloved by bees and butterflies.)

The UV signature of a spurge flower is, shall we say, subtle. Not much going on there except for some tiny bits of false blue and some UV-shininess on the nectary knobs. The flower and leaves are somewhat UV-absorbing but not enough to call it UV-black.

I made the following labels to remind myself of the parts of this unusual flower. However, I do not know what the little white-tipped appendages are around the stamen.

euphorbiaMyrsinites_vis_sun_20200322laSecuela_18680pnLabels.jpg

Equipment [Nikon D610-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/500" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

This is a stack of two frames for increased depth of field and detail.

euphorbiaMyrsinites_vis_sun_20200322laSecuela_18614-18comp.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/3" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

This is a stack of two frames for increased depth of field and detail.

euphorbiaMyrsinites_uvBaad_sun_20200322laSecuela_18635-58compResLogo.jpg

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/250" @ ISO-200 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

euphorbiaMyrsinites_vis_sun_20200322laSecuela_18680pnRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/8" @ ISO-1250 in Sunlight with BaaderU UV-Pass Filter]

euphorbiaMyrsinites_uvBaad_sun_20200322laSecuela_18689pnRes.jpg

Infrared Light [f/11 for 1/400" @ ISO-200 with Onboard Flash and B+W 093 IR-Pass Filter]

euphorbiaMyrsinites_or092_sun_20200322laSecuela_18672pnCrop.jpg

Thank you!

This is such a strange flower. I want to photograph it again this year when it blooms.

The description and terminology of the flower structure of these species is nearly a disseration in itself. I always have to consult my botanical literature before embarking on an Euphorbia.

I like the contrast of the visitor in the IR-version.

You see lots of interesting details when you go that close.

That is very nice.