UltravioletPhotography

Gone for a couple of days

Andrea B.

The SigOth and I will be spending the remainder of today and some time tomorrow in vaccination lines as the New Mexico Department of Health has now assigned us a place and a time to appear for that. Husband today, me tomorrow.

Cheers -

Andrea B.

So happy for you (both). Here we are still vaccinating elders over 80, so younger people will have their turns months ahead from now.
Why would you be gone, just access the site from your phone while you are waiting. I spend more time on this site on my phone than a computer.

So happy for you (both). Here we are still vaccinating elders over 80, so younger people will have their turns months ahead from now.

Things are looking up for you, though - Italy just stopped a shipment of 250,000 doses of the AZ vaccine to Australia, so perhaps you'll get yours a bit sooner!

BTW - had mine a few weeks ago. The Pfizer one. Slightly sore arm for a day, and that was it. My wife had the AZ vaccine, and felt very flu-like later in the day, but OK after 48 hours. Several other people have had a similar experience with AZ.

My country is way behind in the progress of vaccination. The speed is about as glacial as the winter temperatures we recently experienced. I'm in the current segment to be vaccinated, though, but the actual jab in the arm could take furter months to manifest itself. Not a dream scenario for sure.

It isn't very easy to get vaccinated in the US either. Just so everyone knows. Andrea makes it sound easy, I think. If you're old enough, or a nurse or some other important person, then...

But it can take a lot of work, to get the vaccine.

True, getting it from work was easy. We do patient facing research. But the rest of my family is having a hard time.

Even my SigOth who works for the school district...physically evaluating kids in person...couldn't get a vaccine from our county, until the local native tribe who got their own batch shared the vaccine to all school personnel that interact with their children.

In Alaska, we just opened up for over 55 plus a number of special categories (including regular essential workers at the university). Plenty of open spots appeared today for late next week appointments - feels really good to soon get there. Hope it will accelerate other places too.

oh now Reed.....after all, retreads get us where we're going! :lol:

I got the Moderna vaccine at a pharmacy. Within 2-3 hours, I got a fever (about 100°F = 37.77°C) and my arm is very slightly swollen/painful at the injection site. Nothing at all unexpected and simply a sign the my immune system is kicking into action. SigOth got the Pfizer vaccine at one of the mass vaccination sites. He has experienced a headache and fatigue. Today we both feel OK. :grin:

I am *so* impressed by the technology in these messenger RNA vaccines. Sequence the pathogen, plug it into the mRNA and boom, you have a vaccine. Of course, I greatly oversimplify, but it is quite impressive.

It isn't very easy to get vaccinated in the US either. Just so everyone knows. Andrea makes it sound easy.

We have 50 states with 50 different ways of distributing and assigning vaccine!! (There are also island territories and the District of Columbia with their own rules.)

I do *not* want to get into politics (yuk!), but this happened because the previous presidential administration chose to *not* have a nation-wide distribution/assignment plan. So what Cadmium says is true in many places.

It is by nothing more than pure *luck* that I happened to find myself in a state (New Mexico) which has managed to handle the pandemic rules and the vaccination distribution/assignment with a great deal of competency. It helped that we have only 2-million people in the state. That made it easy to set up a state-wide registry. Vaccines are given at either pharmacies or mass vaccination sites manned by New Mexico national guard (part of the stand-by US Army). This frees up health-care personnel, nurses, doctors, etc. to continue caring for Covid cases. As part of the check-in procedure, the 2nd appointments were made for the follow-up vaccination in 3-4 weeks.

Biden ramped up vaccine production and got a couple of Big Pharma companies to cooperate(!!!), so by late spring/early summer there will be enough vaccine to cover the entire US (and territories). There will still be some problems getting vaccines to remote areas and to folks who cannot travel by car. Most states are setting up mobile vaccination units to accomplish this.

US citizens, call your state representatives and ask for improved registration and distribution. This will not be the last time we will need it. We need to be ready for the next time.

...and I spoke too soon. The side effects came roaring back. Oof!! See y'all later! :lol:

...and I spoke too soon. The side effects came roaring back. Oof!! See y'all later! :lol:

Take care. Lots of rest!

One of the side effects that gets little sympathy is the headaches and brain fog. Even simple cognitive tasks are very hard and draining.

oh now Reed.....after all, retreads get us where we're going! :lol:

I got the Moderna vaccine at a pharmacy. Within 2-3 hours, I got a fever (about 100°F = 37.77°C) and my arm is very slightly swollen/painful at the injection site. Nothing at all unexpected and simply a sign the my immune system is kicking into action. SigOth got the Pfizer vaccine at one of the mass vaccination sites. He has experienced a headache and fatigue. Today we both feel OK. :grin:

I am *so* impressed by the technology in these messenger RNA vaccines. Sequence the pathogen, plug it into the mRNA and boom, you have a vaccine. Of course, I greatly oversimplify, but it is quite impressive.

It isn't very easy to get vaccinated in the US either. Just so everyone knows. Andrea makes it sound easy.

We have 50 states with 50 different ways of distributing and assigning vaccine!! (There are also island territories and the District of Columbia with their own rules.)

I do *not* want to get into politics (yuk!), but this happened because the previous presidential administration chose to *not* have a nation-wide distribution/assignment plan. So what Cadmium says is true in many places.

It is by nothing more than pure *luck* that I happened to find myself in a state (New Mexico) which has managed to handle the pandemic rules and the vaccination distribution/assignment with a great deal of competency. It helped that we have only 2-million people in the state. That made it easy to set up a state-wide registry. Vaccines are given at either pharmacies or mass vaccination sites manned by New Mexico national guard (part of the stand-by US Army). This frees up health-care personnel, nurses, doctors, etc. to continue caring for Covid cases. As part of the check-in procedure, the 2nd appointments were made for the follow-up vaccination in 3-4 weeks.

Biden ramped up vaccine production and got a couple of Big Pharma companies to cooperate(!!!), so by late spring/early summer there will be enough vaccine to cover the entire US (and territories). There will still be some problems getting vaccines to remote areas and to folks who cannot travel by car. Most states are setting up mobile vaccination units to accomplish this.

US citizens, call your state representatives and ask for improved registration and distribution. This will not be the last time we will need it. We need to be ready for the next time.

Yes. Pure luck and connections.

Feel like I'm back in the Soviet Union.

Things will get better. We will all eventually get the vaccine in the US - at least those who want to. We just need to continue being careful because now the variants are loose and eventually we will have to get boosters for that. (Boosters can be created really quickly with the mRNA technology.)

I'm good today for sure. Side effects finished. I went out and shoveled some dirt for a rock "art" project. :grin:

Here in my state "connections" don't work for getting vaccine*. You register and the algorithm sorts you and when your appointment pops up, then you get it**. This is also true in many other states.

As I said before, if you are in a state which is not handling this well, then COMPLAIN, make a ruckus, write letters to your representatives and letters to the editor. (All letters digital of course. lol.) Make your voice heard!!! Make suggestions. Offer to help if you can.

* There are always bad actors. But not many here.

** Actually I did seem to be ahead of my group, but then we realized that there seems to be some weight given also to pairing up husband/wives for simultaneous vaccination?? We don't know for sure. My husband was originally in a group ahead of me because of existing health conditions. But we were assigned a day apart which is simultaneous for all intents and purposes. And we both saw other husband/wife pairs when we went to our appointments.

OK, back to photography.

Here in Alaska there is a web site with most of the providers (including some large public ones) where one can search for appointments. New ones are usually announced every Thursday at noon, and then it is first come first serve within eligible groups, but it is all based on honesty from those signing up (would be caught when filling in date of birth though). This week they opened it up for everybody above 16 years as the first state. I got the first shot today, and it was nice to see a number of younger people also being able to get the vaccine. That sore shoulder sort of feels good. :smile: