Local pharmacy STUFFED with UVC junk

31 replies to this topic

#21 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 00:00

Let the buyer beware!
But I truly worry that someone will damage their child trying to sanitize their hands with one of these gadgets (assuming they really do output 254 nm). People can be immensely stupid.

There are certain minerals which fluoresce (or phosphoresce) differently under longwave (~365 nm) and shortwave (~254 nm) UV lights. I have observed this with my calcite crystal which phosphoresces under the hand sanitizer wand I bought years ago for minerals but which only fluoresces under the 365 nm UV-LED. So if anyone here is playing with UVC light, then maybe look into getting such a mineral as a kind of simple test?
[WARNING: how about not playing with UVC lights at all??!!]
LINK to CALCITE: https://www.worthpoi...erals-crystal-5

My hand sanitizer wand has a "safety" feature which prevents the light from being on unless the wand is held so that the light shines downward. But....I have never really tested that. I've only used that wand maybe 3 times to look at calcite and willemite. I was always too scared of that 254 nm light to make much use of it.

I do grant that the mineral hobbyists of the world seem to have been using their shortwave UV lights for years and years without hurting themselves. They seem to mostly use display boxes fitted with UV tubes. So those are likely mounted in such a way so as not to damage the mineral hobbyist's skin or eyes?? Put the rock in, close the box, turn on the light or something like that??
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#22 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 00:03

View PostOlDoinyo, on 31 January 2021 - 23:52, said:

I wonder how much of this junk actually even emits the wavelengths in question. Does anyone verify this?
Can't know for sure, but they probably do emit UVC. If you want to test for UVC and you don't have a spectrometer you can test Euro banknotes, opacity of common glass and U-glass or irradiate a banana. For reference, I tried those tests here and here (even if I think most people already know the experiments I did, but just in case...). Usually UVC LEDs look different than UVA LED, they often have a metal housing and the chips are small.

The problem is not whether they emit UVC or not (and I think they do) but the fact that they are basically useless.

#23 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 00:03

The UV phone sanitizer in the first photo kinda makes me laugh. I don't think we are going to catch anything from a cell phone which only we ourselves have handled? And the UV phone sanitizer is hardly going to remove the oily fingerprints from the screen. Sigh. People will buy anything I guess.

I agree with Stefano in thinking that this stuff is basically useless.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#24 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 00:21

View PostStefano, on 31 January 2021 - 22:38, said:

About negative ions, this video explains their (real) effectiveness: https://youtu.be/ZQ--scjcAZ4

Seriously, It is insane that they sell those things. It is absurd.
The best part of that video is watching all the scientists try to keep a straight face.

#25 Bill De Jager

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 01:05

View Postdabateman, on 31 January 2021 - 22:06, said:

Thanks for the links.

What I was going to include in my previous post (but forgot to) is that federal regulations have the force of law. That is, they're not statutory law, but they might as well be so from the standpoint of whoever is regulated by them. Typically, the regulations include a lot of technical details that Congress is not qualified to figure out, so that job is delegated to an agency that has the requisite expertise, in this case the FDA. That also allows the agency some flexibility in response to new information and changing conditions, without having to go back to Congress for a revised law.

While laws are important and people fight over their drafting, the implementing regulations are also really important and often can be controversial. An agency can decide to change its regulations, for instance regarding UVC devices, and depending on what they want to do in relation to the wording of the relevant laws, they might be able to make significant changes in what is and is not legal. That's entirely aside from whether and how much they decide to actually enforce those regulations.

Before retirement I had 26 years of working with the environmental compliance of federal civil works projects. That involved not only university classes and on-the-job training classes, but also countless hours over the years poring over parts of the US Code and the CFR relevant to my work, and frequent discussions with in-house lawyers about the application of those laws and regulations. The distinction between laws and regulations is not something I just picked up on the internet - it was part of my job for decades.
Studying the botany and plant geography of California and western North America for almost 50 years.

#26 Reed F. Curry

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 13:58

How about this use of UVC - https://www.cnn.com/...usiness-robots/
Best regards,
Reed
http://www.uvroptics.com

#27 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 14:03

It is OK as long as there are no people and animals around.

#28 Bernard Foot

Bernard Foot

• Members+G
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 14:36

View PostStefano, on 03 February 2021 - 14:03, said:

It is OK as long as there are no people and animals around.

Warehouse staff could get a suntan while they work ...
Bernard Foot

#29 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 14:38

View PostBernard Foot, on 03 February 2021 - 14:36, said:

Warehouse staff could get a suntan while they work ...
The best suntan of their life for sure.

#30 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 17:13

View PostReed F. Curry, on 03 February 2021 - 13:58, said:

How about this use of UVC - https://www.cnn.com/...usiness-robots/

You need to have line of sight for UVC to even begin to do anything.

So if I am shopping and sneeze on a cereal box on the shelf, then put back the one I was reading. Your uvc robot would be completely ineffective.
Kids hide stuff on shelves all the time, also. I was once a sales associate at K-mart while in high school. I would find all types of crazy stuff on the shelves. Including a needle once, that I hope was just for an insulin shot.

#31 Bill De Jager

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 20:45

View Postdabateman, on 03 February 2021 - 17:13, said:

Kids hide stuff on shelves all the time, also.

Ahhh, another early childhood trauma... the time around age 3 or 4 that I left a small toy somewhere on a shelf in the grocery store, and when we left the store I realized that I'd lost my toy. My mother refused to go back into the store to look for my toy, and crying ensued. Well, I needed to learn to keep track of my things and not leave them outside of the home!

I'm sure there were plenty of germs on that toy.

Edited by Bill De Jager, 03 February 2021 - 20:45.

Studying the botany and plant geography of California and western North America for almost 50 years.

#32 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:04

View PostStefano, on 31 January 2021 - 22:38, said:

About negative ions, this video explains their (real) effectiveness: https://youtu.be/ZQ--scjcAZ4

Seriously, It is insane that they sell those things. It is absurd.

Stefano, Thanks! That guy does fun video's. :smile: