UltravioletPhotography

Flash is dead, and so is Advanced Uploader

Andy Perrin

Admins, Adobe has officially discontinued the Flash software, and as a consequence the "Advanced" photo uploader no longer works. The basic one still seems to work ok. You should probably remove the link to the advanced uploader now, since it's guaranteed to never work again. I spent several fruitless minutes earlier tonight wondering why my photo wouldn't upload before I realized yesterday was the day Flash was gone forever.

And so it finally happened! I've been hearing for years that Flash would go away.

I'll see what I can do about the link. I'm not sure it is removable, but I will look.

wait......Flash upload is still working on my old system?

Obligatory Cat Photo uploaded via Flash/AdvancedUpload.

NZ7_06250101pnpn4.jpg

Andrea, I don't know when the last time you updated that flash or that OS is, but flash is unsupported and should NOT be used anymore, and it no longer works on my computer at all (nor on any other modern recently updated Mac...).

You will totally laugh and roll your eyes when I tell you this old Mac is still running Mountain Lion.

I know. I know. Really I do.

The brand new Mac with 6 TB of flash memory is sitting there as yet unused.

BUT, I finally did order cables for it. So soon, soon..........

Andrea, I just want you to know that I actually did do both, and I wish you well with your new Mac. To be honest, I'm two OSes behind also, mainly because I would lose access to my 32 bit Photoshop 6.5 and also MS Word and Excel (2011) which are the only ones that run Visual Basic on the Mac. I would dearly love to move on, but then I have to start paying for a PS 2020 subscription yearly, and I would have to buy new Office, and it all becomes an expensive mess.

.....it all becomes an expensive mess.

Doesn't it just? I'd rather spend the money on cool lenses and stuff.

But I also am going to really be upset to lose Excel on the new Macbook. I use that a *lot*. But I'll keep this old Mac nearby for old Office until I get tired of switching between old/new at which point I'll probably break down and buy a new Office.

I decided long ago that Big Photoshop was not my style so I've saved some $$$ on that. I've been using Photoshop Elements for a few things and it has sufficed. I'm not immune to some of Big PS's charms, but at this point I've not really needed them. I have lots more fun playing with the open source software like Darktable and others. I do have Affinity as a possible PS replacement, but it has been hard to find the time to really learn it.

I know.

That is why I also are stranded with older OS versions. I have to run 10.10 on one of my macs and 10.14 on another

This was intended as a general help link for others with the same problem.

I have the same problem myself also with VMWare Fusion, but lately learned that I can downgrade the latest Fusion Pro 12 to version 11 and 10.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one hanging on to an old Mac OS in order to run a favorite photo program.

Have either of you ever tried running one of those apps which emulates an older Mac OS with the newest Mac OS ??

Andrea, no, I just can't get an activation code! I don't know the old one and Adobe won't give it out. The security info is stored somehow in the Mac's system folder in the Library but even with trying to directly copy what I thought were the relevant files it would not activate. And I couldn't redownload the software (which I bought on AMazon years ago) because the old Amazon link is dead.

One should make a local repository with activation codes for all programs. And a backup of it. And another backup, just to be sure.

Just collect the email(s) in a text document, or enter codes into a spreadsheet. No need for a sophisticated solution.