•  

My own take on Aerochrome

Infrared
7 replies to this topic

#1 IxnaX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 21:34

Hiya... Whipped up a couple of Aerochrome filters. With an in-camera custom white balance off half foliage, half sky i get desired results out of the camera.
Heres some examples and some visual data showing the cutoff that occurs.

The first spectragram is the cameras regular spectral light collection with no filter... The light used put out no uv, but alot of infrared.

The second is the cutoff from filter#1 and the third is filter#2

Filter#1 is one layer of deep cyan gel sheet with some thickness to it.

Filter#2 is two layers of a light cyan and of a thinner material.

I work alot so havent been able to get alot of testing photos... But what ive gotten isnt just straight red foliage.

What are your thoughts?

#2 OlDoinyo

• Members(+)
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 22:46

Artistically, your second sample image has a certain old-school coloration about it which is interesting. I do not know to what extent that is your "desired result."

Edited by OlDoinyo, 12 January 2021 - 22:50.

#3 IxnaX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 00:53

"Desired result" is as close to the real thing as inhumanly possible.

Other factors seem to interfere.... Less sun gives a richer red, lots of sun seems to bring out yellows and such.

But i thought id show someone

#4 OlDoinyo

• Members(+)
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:54

If by the 'real thing" you mean the old Kodak films, I suggest you check out the examples here--there is more diversity of look there than many realize. Some of this is due to variations in film scanning, some to film development (E-6 vs AR-5;) more of the variation is due to the various filters preferred by photographers. So you may be aiming for a rather fuzzy target! Perhaps you mean a particular subset of images such as these?

#5 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:45

What camera was used for the photos, Ix?
The photos seem to have a film like quality. Is this due to processing or because gel sheet filters slightly soften the details? I’ve never used such filters so I don’t know.

OlDoinyo, there really is a lot of difference in the linked Flickr photos, isn’t there? Not having any experience with EIR film, I didn’t know this either. Thanks for that link.

Interesting thing to me about the various digital Aerochrome experiments shown here on UVP is that the results are interesting in their own right and not just because they more or less emulate the Aero film “look and feel”. :smile:
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#6 IxnaX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 22:32

A Sony A6000 modified... No special processing or color swapping.. Just some highlight/shadow adjustment. The sheets are just from an art store.

#7 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 21:22

Thx!
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#8 OlDoinyo

• Members(+)
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 18:45

In your spectrograms, it would be helpful if you could overlay a scale. It is difficult to tell where red ends and infrared begins, for example.