Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Rayfact

Lens
26 replies to this topic

#21 Andrea B.

Desert Dancer

• Owner-Administrator
  • 8,956 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 20:17

Update 22 Mar 2021: Added transmittance charts to first post.
Andrea G. Blum
Often found hanging out with flowers & bees.

#22 nfoto

Former Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:11

I take it we treat the original UV-Nikkor and the Rayfact UV-105 jointly in this thread? For all intents and purposes they are the same lens.

My guess is that possessions by UVP members represent a sizeable fraction of the UV lenses produced.I have two of them and believe not the only one stocking up on the UV-Nikkors.

#23 nfoto

• Owner-Administrator
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:37

A characteristic property of the UV-Nikkor/Rayfact is the focusing collar goes way "beyond" the infinity mark, and the red IR dot is on the opposite side, i.e. to the right, instead of the usual left-hand side position of nearly all other lenses.

Attached Image: U20210323092757.jpg

The UV-Nikkor is also a simple lens to "chip" (CPU-enable). Which is a very useful feature when you do experimental UV work and need to ascertain exposure data. However this will only work with the lens mounted on F- or Z-system cameras.

#24 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 13:52

Your copy is AIS as it has the groove near the pin lock and an orange 32. I think I saw some might be before AIS.

#25 nfoto

• Owner-Administrator
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 15:33

The UV-Nikkor was released years after Nikon had introduced the AiS aperture operation on their lenses.

#26 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 22:09

View Postnfoto, on 23 March 2021 - 15:33, said:

The UV-Nikkor was released years after Nikon had introduced the AiS aperture operation on their lenses.

Thats really good to know. Then other one I saw would be a fake. Thank you. I will watch out for that.

#27 nfoto

• Owner-Administrator
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:56

According to my sources, Nikon released the UV-Nikkor 105 in 1984. So it always has been an AiS lens.

It shares the outer casing with the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 up to the 'nose' of the latter, which has a retractable lens hood built-in that the UV-Nikkor lacks. Thus I guess any fake 'UV Nikkor' might be a relabelled Micro 105/4.