UltravioletPhotography

Veins in NIR

The BBC published an item "Covid: How a £20 gadget could save lives" (see https://www.bbc.co.u...health-55733527 ).

So I thought I'd be at the head of the stampede to get one before they disappeared from the market like toilet paper at the start of a lockdown, and got one of these: https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

The reason I mention it here is that it uses the same principle that started this thread - the device uses a red or IR (depending on model) emitter below the finger tip and a detector above the finger nail, and obviously is looking at variations in IR transmision as blood is pumped through the veins.

Anyway, the device has confirmed that I'm still alive. The brand name is Yonkers, so at first I thought great - it's made in New York. But no, it comes from Xuzhou Yongkang Electronic Science Technology Co. (At least it wasn't the Xuzhou Yongkang Novelty and Toy Co.)

I have a pulse oximeter, they are widely available in every US drugstore. NYtimes published a similar article not long ago.

The principle is actually a bit different than what started this thread. Instead of using the single wavelength of maximum contrast to image the veins, they use TWO other important NIR wavelengths — the peak absorptions of oxygenated and unoxygenated blood (I’m sure I have the terms wrong but I’m typing on my phone so hard to google). By looking at the ratio of the transmissions over time, they can calculate the percentage of oxygen. It might be interesting to try this with images also and see the colors fluctuate as the blood flows around in your hand.

A Samsung Galaxy smart watch will currently do that. They have leds to monitor your oxygen and heart rate.

The rumor is that the newest Samsung watch and iPhone watches due out this year will have a new Raman monitor and will be able to monitor your blood glucose. No more finger picking needed. But I haven't seen any submissions and don't have access, as this will be a medical device it would need approvals.