UltravioletPhotography

Suspicious filters on eBay

Andy Perrin

Like many of us, I am mourning the loss of Omega Bob on eBay, whose cheap "cosmetic seconds" filters helped me through my introduction to UV photography. While looking around for other sellers of dichroic band pass filters, I found the following:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV-365nm-Narrow-Band-Pass-Filter-OD4-HBW10nm-Coated-Glass-Dia-10mm/254795982957?hash=item3b5306286d:g:8-AAAOSwCyZfx04B&var=554613257114

This is allegedly a 365BP10 blocked to OD4. Yet in the photo it looks transparent. Has anyone dealt with other dichroic filter purveyors on eBay? Do you have a favorite seller? How are you coping with the loss of Bob?

:sad:

If it is "mirrored" - i.e., really shiny - then the photo might be showing just reflection of the white background.

But who knows?

Here is a really interesting listing: A 590nm longpass IR for only $4999.99. Such a bargain !! LINK

Has any contacted Bob Johnson at Omega Optical to learn whether he will be selling filters again?

Andrea might be better to get that one at 52mm, only 54.99 plus $9 SH and add a step down ring from 58mm. Either someone would pay, they are currently out and its a holder or they ment to be $49.99.

Andy, that doesn't look reassuring. But like Bob its most likely not an image of the actual filter you will get. Best to contact them to be on the same page of what OD 4 is.

I think the photo above may just be to show size, maybe they didn't have an actual photo of the exact filter. You can ask them.

Omega: Call them, and ask. They have kind of a big place, check out the street view sometime, cool place. I miss their listings too.

Omega - the store re-appeared briefly, allowing me to get a 303BP10 filter, but has now gone again. Bob is still operating on ebay under the name enciircleinc selling stereo photography products (which were also available on the Omega ebay site) and various other bits and pieces and tools.

I guess the terms of the buy-out of Omega Optical by the private equity firm (Artemis) prevent Bob from selling filters that might encroach on their business.

Oh well. I didn't realize Omega had been bought out. It does seem like that source of filters is well and truly gone now. Thorlabs and MidOpt are my long-term 2nd favorites and their stuff sometimes shows up on eBay, as does Edmund, but it's no longer "one-stop shopping."
Omega Optical was sold, but acc to what I read Bob Johnson is still some kind of Technical Director there. Which is why I suggested writing him to find out whether he planned to continue with selling the over-runs and seconds.