UltravioletPhotography

UVP Outage [Added: Dec 06 images lost?]

Andrea B.

Hello Everyone --

We are back online! It was necessary to restore the website from a backup of December 6. So there might be some missing posts? I hope not too many.

I do not yet know what caused the outage. Something seems to have gone wrong with the database. It was not anything I could fix myself, so I created a "trouble ticket" at Site5. We had to wait in queue for awhile.

Please check your posts and try to restore anything which might have gone missing from Dec 6 or Dec7. I will report here if I learn anything else about the outage.

Andrea B. :bee:

Owner/Admin

UltravioletPhotography.com

You made us nervous there, Andrea....

Apparently there is an issue with the very last attached images. They seem to be present, but won't load.

You made us nervous there, Andrea....

Well, I wish I could say that I had anything to do with it and knew what happened, but I didn't and I can't.

Nothing to do with me I can assure you. :lol: :lol: :lol: I wuz freakin' out !!! :blink: :omy:

I'm waiting on a response from Site5 about what happened.

Your images are probably no longer stored in the image folder.

Best thing to do is to remove the current attachment and upload the images again.

Everything across the world is "slow" these days.

The Site5 people were not able to get to the restoration until several hours after the trouble ticket. But I certainly understand the difficulties that companies are currently facing. Teams are probably short-handed and working from home, etc.

If you posted an image on 06 December or later, then it was probably lost in the crash.

Please remove existing attachments on 06 Dec posts and upload your images again.

...I don't think someone can crash the site. There has to be some protection. But maybe what you are saying is that there were some symptoms... hard to say.
The problems mentioned by Ninjin probably had nothing to do with the outage at all. We uploaded and attached images all the time up to the moment the crash occurred.
Yes I saw a notice 'can't download' if I try add photo, even a small size. But I hope this is not the reason for.. I love UVP and I did not want something wrong. :blink:
Do ensure the file is an allowed format. Thus extension .jpg not jpeg or other variants. File size should be 2MB or smaller.

The Site5 server group seems to be operating on rote scripts so the response to our outage was the usual scan for malware (none found) followed by a restoration from backup (from the day before the outage). I got no answer as to why the site went down. Database crash is my best guess, but again, why? I will look thru one of activity logs to see if I can spot anything.

File uploads are typically rejected if the wrong type or if too large. I have also seen rejections because the database connections were "busy" -- like too much traffic. So if you get a rejection for a JPG file which is reasonably sized, then try again later. It is possible that being on a shared server can cause traffic problems. I have been thinking about possibly upgrading to a slightly more robust sharing plan.