UltravioletPhotography

Nice full spectrum (and IR) captures of auroras featured at Kolari Vision

otoien

Interesting, never saw this. I bet auroras also emit UV light. Maybe some member in the right latitudes may try photographing them in invisible light?

I might try Aurora borealis in UV with a modern camera for which the ISO can be cranked up to astronomical (sic) levels... If there is an opportunity to travel again...

Meanwhile, here is an IR version from the Lofoten archipelago, with my IR D200 and the 18/4 Nikkor.

Z1109023313_lofoten_aurora_IR.jpg

The IR bands were not very bright thus I had already ISO 1600 for 30 secs here, with the lens at f/4.

Here is my own version of aurora in IR with my D40x IR-720nm, Nikon 12-24mm @ 13mm and f/4, 28s at ISO800. (This would be a pretty normal exposure for medium strength aurora in the visible spectrum.) Somehow I feel that the IR version of the aurora needs to be presented a little on the warm side:

2012-03-15-0047X-9873-md-SpW.jpg.e28b0b37de17cc026511088f22609acd.jpg

The visible aurora is dominated by green emission from nitrogen, with a bit of red from oxygen. In the IR, I wonder what we are seeing. I presume this is taken with something like an R72 filter?

Aurora-like discharges in the vacuum UV have been documented on Jupiter and Saturn, and around comets; but references to terrestrial aurora discharges in this band are hard to find.

On a sillier note, someone is hawking this product!